Danny Saunders, author of “The Captive Queen: A Novel of Mary Stuart” answers 10 questions about his favorite time period in history, her favorite figures from history, and the age old question of coffee or tea.
1. If you could go back in time and be any figure from history, who would it be?
Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots… This sovereign lived a tragic and turbulent life. She lived a significant period of European History.
2. What year in history would you have liked to live in?
Several periods of History! Medieval, Renaissance and Victorian era
3. You’re having a dinner party and you can invite 5 people from history, who would they be?
Very interesting question! Mary Stuart (of course!), Queen Elizabeth I of England, King Robert the Bruce (of Scotland), King Henry VIII of England and Queen Victoria of Great Britain. Maybe a peace agreement between Mary Stuart and Elizabeth Tudor?
4. What castle from the past or present would you like to live in?
Without hesitation: Sandringham House, in Norfolk. The building is beautiful and the gardens are nice.
5. Two fellow historical fiction authors you’d like to go on a history themed tour of the world with?
The British author Anne O’Brien (“The King’s Concubine: A Novel of Alice Perrers”) and the British author Philippa Gregory (“The Other Boleyn Girl”).
6. Who was more dashing and interesting, King Henry VIII of England or King Louis XIV of France?
King Henry VIII… He was the founder of the Church of England and the English Renaissance. The Tudor era really began during his reign.
7. Which of the six wives of King Henry VIII is your favorite?
I have great respect for each of the wives of King Henry VIII, but my favorite is Queen Katherine of Aragon. This woman was humiliated in her heart but also her soul.
8. English monarchy or French monarchy?
British monarchy (including Scotland!)
9. What three novels could you read over and over?
I am a historical writer but I like also other categories… All the novels of the British writer Dame Agatha Christie (especially the “Hercule Poirot” series)
10. Tea or coffee when writing?
I prefer a hot chocolate.
Danny Saunders’s official website: