Sept. 28, 2014 was the last day for the 2014 Sunburst Conference of Celebrity Impersonators, but the talent in attendance continued to shine! The event was held Sept. 24-28 at the Florida Hotel in Orlando, Fla.
Even though this event (formerly known as Sunburst Convention) was winding down, many of the 100 talent and guests could still be seen mingling and networking at the Florida Hotel. yeahstub.com was a guest during the conference, and “impressed” was one of the first words to pop into mind after enjoying the variety of activities throughout the conference.
The producers of the Sunburst Conference are Greg and Jackie Thompson. This was its 12th year!
Celebrity and character lookalikes, impersonators and tribute artists portraying celebs from around the world were in attendance. According to the Thompsons, one of the purposes of the event is that it allows professionals and up and coming celebrity impersonators to gather and network. The talent can also socialize and perform in order to enlighten their offerings as a performer.
Talent agents, buyers, tour companies, casinos, cruise lines, and special events planning companies also attend and enjoy the events and entertainers. Such agents and buyers are looking for quality entertainers for their roster of talent.
Like every year, this year was no exception when it came to what the conference offered. There was showcasing, networking, seminars, photo and video ops, vendors, agents, talent buyers, media galore, and for a grand finale there was a banquet, awards ceremony and, new this year, a charity auction!
Some of the awards presented (winners posted below) included Transformation Award, Best Male Costume, Best Female Costume, Party Animal, Mirror Image, Congeniality, Best Overall Celebrity Recreation, Funniest Female, Funniest Male, Most Unique Act, Best Agent, Bea Fogleman Award, and more.
Some of the faces one had to give a second glance to were those of Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, Charlie Chaplin, Dean Martin, Lady Gaga, Martha Stewart, Liz Taylor, Clay Walker, Ricky Nelson, Neil Diamond, Terminator, Ann-Margret, Taylor Swift, Dolly Parton, Austin Powers, Napoleon Dynomite, Phyllis Diller, Trinity from The MATRIX, Kenny Rogers, 007, I Love Lucy, Adele, Roseanne Barr, Frank Sinatra, Rod Stewart, Bon Jovi, Dame Edna, Justin Timberlake, Ed Sullivan, George Carlin, Queen of Hearts, Billy Mays, Tim McGraw, Barbra Streisand, Travis Tritt, Bette Davis, President G.W. Bush, Paula Deen, and more.
Many new tribute artist faces were also seen this year. Some of them included Paul McCartney, Mariah Carey, John Lennon, Jennifer Lopez, Cher, Richard Gere, and Louis Armstrong. More about all the talent can be discovered in the slideshow, on Facebook or at other links. Either way, enjoy, and look forward to more to come!
For anyone who attended or was part of this conference and wants to add something concerning the event, feel free to make a comment and/or contact the writer.
SUNNY AWARDS – Sunburst Awards 2014
The following awards were voted upon by the Sunburst attendees themselves.
- Transformation Award – Artist who least resembles their celebrity, but looks the most like them after make up, wig, etc./ – Michael Walters as Dame Edna
- Best Costume Male – Michael Walters as Dame Edna
- Best Costume Female – Carlene Mitchell as Whitney Houston & other Divas
- Party Animal – Sharon Holmes (Martha Stewart)
- Mirror Image Award (Best Natural Look without makeup, etc.) – Jessica Aguirre as Mariah Carey
- Congeniality Award (aka The Richard Hampton Award) – Michael “Wally” Walter as Don Rickles
- Best Overall Celebrity Re-creation – Betty Atchison as Lady Gaga
- Funniest Female (Off Stage) – Patty Accorso
- Funniest Male (Off Stage) – Michael Wally Walter
- Most Unique Act – Billy Scadlock as Charlie Chaplin
- Agent of The Year – Laddie Dwyer of A Unique Entertainment/ Jacksonville, FL (3RD TIME WINNER)
The following awards were voted upon by the Sunburst producers and/or staff.
- Best Display – Jack Berrios/KISS
- Best Promotional Photo – Jeff Richards as Twin McGraw
- Best Web Site – David Jericko as Elvis
- Best One Sheet – Michael Walters as Dame Edna
- Media Award – Blue Collar Films for “Just About Famous”
The following awards were voted upon by the committee of attending agents and non-showcasing artists.
- Best Showcase Performance
- Silver- Andrea Tylers as Adele
- Gold- Michael “Wally” Walters
- Platinum- Scott Jordan as Justin Timberlake and/or Ricky Nelson
The following awards were voted upon by the Committee of Attending Agents.
- Agent’s Best Impressed Award – Michael Walters as Dame Edna
The following awards were not voted upon, as they are “matter of fact.”
- Steamer Trunk Award (artist with most costumes/props, etc.) – Patty Accorso
- Sybil Award (most personalities presented at Sunburst) – Jennifer Ramsey
- Moxie Award – Jason Scott/Neil Diamond and Howie Mandel
The Bea Fogelman Award of Excellence is voted upon by the committee of Sunburst producers, agents, Sherie Rae Parker and previous winners.
The Bea Fogelman Award of Excellence – Billy Scadlock