Chips and dip don’t always have to be full of fat, sodium and calories. You can make your own fresh version of cinnamon chips and fruity salsa that would be perfect for a Sunday afternoon treat, after school snack, or an appetizer on your football food table.
Fresh fruit is always a winner for the healthy crowd and making your own cinnamon chips is perfect because you can control the amount of butter spray, sugar and cinnamon that is added to the tortillas.
Fun and fruity salsa and cinnamon chips
- 2 kiwis, peeled and diced
- 2 Golden Delicious apples – peeled, cored and diced
- 8 ounces raspberries
- 1 pound strawberries
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fruit preserves, any flavor
- 10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- butter flavored cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix kiwis, Golden Delicious apples, raspberries, strawberries, white sugar, brown sugar and fruit preserves. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Coat one side of each flour tortilla with butter flavored cooking spray. Cut into wedges and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle wedges with desired amount of cinnamon sugar. Spray again with cooking spray.
- Bake in the preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges. Allow to cool approximately 15 minutes. Serve with chilled fruit mixture.
- Try using no sugar added preserves to help cut down on sugar
- Cut the sugars in half and try some good ole’ grape jelly
- Use an egg slicer to slice and dice your soft fruits: strawberries, kiwi or peaches
- Don’t feel tied down to the fruits listed above, use what you have and like
These are a fun and easy treat to make for your family and friends. Use fresh fruits that are in season and pair the fruit with a complementary flavored jam, preserve, jelly or pure fruit spread. It’s a fabulously fresh alternative to the standard chips and dip or salsa.
Thanks for reading Raleigh Food! Click here to subscribe to this column and you’ll get an email each time a new article is published.
Do you ever wish you had the chance to write articles about things that interest you? Look into Examiner! It’s a great way to make some extra money and it’s a lot of fun. Follow this link and see if it’s right for you!