Forecast discussion: During the overnight, we began to lose the strong high pressure ridge that brought us beautiful weather for the first half of the holiday weekend. Now, a low pressure system over southern Quebec, Canada has brought overcast skies to Boston. Current radar imagery shows a good line of thunderstorms pushing into Meriden, CT. Eastern Massachusetts should see this precipitation arrive within the next three hours, especially south of Boston.
We will continue to see periods of showers, along with periods of isolated heavy rain and thunderstorms through the overnight. It will also be quite humid, so we will need fans and air conditioners to sleep. By Monday, the cold front will remain just to our west, but the front will continue to trigger scattered showers and thunderstorms through the day. We will have a brief period of dry weather on Tuesday, before a new cold front brings the risk of more precipitation Tuesday evening into the middle of Wednesday morning.
By Wednesday afternoon, a high pressure system now moving into the northern Rockies will bring dry weather and mild temperatures into Friday. Most of Saturday will be under the high pressure ridge’s influence. But, a new cold front will help bring new precipitation before sunset. The front will slowly push offshore just before the Patriots kick off down in Miami. So, showers should come to an end by noon, but colder air behind the front will only give us highs in the lower 70’s.
Finally, the disturbance near the Yucatan Peninsula is expected to become a possible tropical threat later in the week. The system is expected to move north into the Southwest Gulf of Mexico on Monday. There is a 40% chance of becoming a tropical system within 48 hours, and 60% chance within the next five days.
72 hour forecast:
Tonight: Cloudy and humid with scattered showers and thunderstorms. Some areas may see heavy rainfall, and thunderstorms may be strong. Thunderstorms may have strong winds and lightning with them. Patchy fog expected by 4 a.m. We will see a low of 73.
Labor Day: Cloudy with scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms. We will see a high of 84 with winds shifting to the south at 8-11 mph.
Monday night: Isolated showers and thunderstorms end by 3 a.m. with a low of 71. Winds will come from the west-southwest at 5-8 mph.
Tuesday: Partly to mostly sunny with a high of 85.
Tuesday night: Cloudy with possible showers/thunderstorms by 8 p.m. with a low of 71.
Wednesday: Morning showers end by 10 a.m. with partly sunny skies. We will see a high of 83.
Wednesday night: Clear skies with a low of 65.
Thursday: Mostly sunny. Highs 81-84, lows 63-66.
Friday: Partly to mostly sunny. Highs 82-85, lows 65-68.
Saturday: Partly sunny with showers/light rain arriving by 6 p.m. Highs 79-82, lows 60-63.
Sunday: Showers/light rain end by noon. Partly sunny skies expected the rest of the day. Highs 71-74, lows 57-60.