Preparing dinner for the family can sometimes get tense especially when you are looking for something new, different and nutritious to serve. This pastry dish is the perfect distraction for the cook and everyone sitting at the dinner table that evening. Many different vegetables are added to the mix and wrapped in a delicious flaky crust which is quite filling and tasty too. You may have seen something similar to this in your local pizzeria; they refer to pastry filled meals as either a calzone, stombolli, sausage rolls or pepperoni rolls. This particular recipe is made as a vegetarian dish but you can always add in meats before baking if that is what you family would prefer to dine on.
- 1 package of refrigerated pizza dough
- 8 spears of asparagus
- 1 yellow pepper sliced in strips
- ½ cup of yellow corn kernels
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of oregano
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- ½ cup of cubed mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup of shredded Italian blend cheese, divided
- 10 cherry tomatoes quartered
- Rinse all vegetables under cool water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Mince the garlic, quarter the tomatoes and slice up the bell pepper.
- Place all the vegetables into a covered microwave dish along with the oil and spices; then heat in the microwave for 5 minutes.
- Unravel the pizza dough and place it flat on a cookie sheet.
- The dish with the vegetables in it set aside to cool for about 5-7 minutes.
- Carefully drain all the liquid from the vegetable dish.
- Preheat the oven to 400’.
- Sprinkle half the cubed mozzarella and shredded Italian cheese over the pizza dough.
- Line up the asparagus and pepper over the cheese in one direction.
- Top the asparagus with the tomato pieces and corn kernels then drizzle any remaining liquid with the herbs and spices on top of the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Lift the dough from one end and roll it along with the vegetables and cheese to form a rolled loaf.
- Be sure to tuck in the ends of the dough so none of the cheese can melt out of the dough.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until dough top is golden brown in color.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Transfer the Stromboli to a platter and slice into 1 inch pieces at an angle.
- Change up the recipe by adding other chopped vegetables the next time this recipe is requested for dinner. Try chopped broccoli florets, shredded or julienne carrots, chopped cauliflower, green bell pepper or even string beans or peas.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved