Residents of Santa Barbara and Santa Maria-Goleta California are in for a treat. AT&T is lighting up LTE service in those two cities, bringing better data speeds, more reliable connections, and allowing customers to get even more out of their smartphones, tablets, and other connected devices.
The recent 4G LTE expansion is a part of AT&T’s more than $25 million investment in its wireless and wireline networks in the past three years across the Santa Barbara area. As part of their Velocity IP plan, they’ll be deploying large scale cell towers and coverage nationwide, and augmenting their coverage with microcells. If you’re in Santa Barbara, your phone just got a lot more powerful.
AT&T’s full press release is below.
AT&T 4G LTE AVAILABLE IN SANTA BARBARA-SANTA MARIA-GOLETA
As Part of AT&T’s VIP Investment Plan, Customers to Benefit From Nation’s Most Reliable 4G LTE Network on the Latest Devices
SANTA BARBARA, CA, JUNE 11, 2014 — AT&T* has turned on the nation’s most reliable 4G LTE network** in Santa Barbara-Santa Maria-Goleta, bringing customers the latest generation of wireless network technology. Watch here to see several of the benefits AT&T 4G LTE provides, including:
· Faster speeds. LTE technology is capable of delivering mobile Internet speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G***. Customers can stream, download, upload and game faster than ever before.
· Reliability. AT&T has the most reliable 4G LTE network. Based on our analysis of independent third party data, AT&T has the highest success rate for delivering mobile content across nationwide 4G LTE networks.
· Cool new devices. AT&T offers several LTE-compatible devices, including new AT&T 4G LTE smartphones and tablets.
· Faster response time. LTE technology offers lower latency, or the processing time it takes to move data through a network, such as how long it takes to start downloading a webpage or file once you’ve sent the request. Lower latency helps to improve services like mobile gaming, two-way video calling and telemedicine.
· More efficient use of spectrum. Wireless spectrum is a finite resource, and LTE uses spectrum more efficiently than other technologies, creating more space to carry data traffic and services and to deliver a better network experience.
“We continue to see demand for mobile Internet skyrocket, and our 4G LTE network in Santa Barbara-Santa Maria-Goleta responds to what customers want from their mobile experience — more, faster, reliably, on the best devices,” said Mike Silacci, Regional Vice President, AT&T External Affairs – Greater Los Angeles Region.
AT&T’s 4G Network
This expansion is part of AT&T’s Velocity IP (VIP) Plan, a three-year investment plan announced in Fall 2012 to expand and enhance its IP broadband networks. Through this investment, AT&T is supporting its customers’ growing desire for high-speed Internet access and new mobile, app and cloud-based services. As part of the VIP Plan, AT&T plans to add macro cell sites nationwide by year-end 2015, as well as deploy small cells and add Distributed Antenna Systems to increase the density of its wireless network.
AT&T’s innovation and investment have resulted in a nationwide 4G network with ultra-fast speeds and a consistent user experience. The great performance of AT&T’s 4G LTE network continues to be validated by independent third-party testing:
· Our 4G LTE service was recognized as having faster average download and upload speeds than any of our competitors in PCWorld/TechHive’s most recent 20-market speed tests — the second consecutive year that AT&T has ranked first overall. PCWorld/TechHive also ranked AT&T’s as the fastest combination of 3G and 4G services in the 20 cities it tested.****
AT&T’s focus to deliver the best possible mobile Internet experience goes beyond 4G to embrace additional connection technologies. AT&T operates more than 34,000 AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots at popular restaurants, hotels, bookstores and retailers, and provides access to more than 1 million globally through roaming agreements.***** Most AT&T smartphone customers get access to our entire national Wi-Fi network at no additional cost, and Wi-Fi usage doesn’t count against customers’ monthly wireless data plans.
AT&T also is a leading developer of Distributed Antenna Systems, which utilize multiple small antennas to maximize coverage and speed within stadiums, convention centers, office buildings, hotels and other areas where traditional coverage methods are challenging.
Over the past six years (2008 to 2013), AT&T invested more than $140 billion into its wireless and wireline networks, when you combine capital investment and acquisitions of spectrum and wireless operations. Since 2008, AT&T has invested more capital into the U.S. economy than any other public company. In a September 2013 report, the Progressive Policy Institute ranked AT&T No. 1 on its list of U.S. “Investment Heroes.”
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
** Reliability claim based on third party data regarding nationwide carriers’ 4G LTE. LTE is a trademark of ETSI.
***Up to 10x claim compares 4G LTE download speeds to industry average 3G download speeds. Learn more about 4G LTE at att.com/network.
**** PCWorld/TechHive, May 23, 2013, “AT&T clocks best overall speeds with 3G/4G combo”
***** A Wi-Fi enabled device required. Other restrictions apply. See www.attwifi.com for details and locations