The Aukey 4-Port USB 3.0 Aluminum Desktop Hub stands out for its attractive design which positions the 4 ports on a slant where it’s easier to insert the plugs for your devices. As with the
Aukey W6PH4 hub, the ports are positioned so that even wider drives will not encroach on the space of the other devices plugged into the hub.
In the Box
- Aukey M3H4 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub
- USB 3.0 cable: The documentation says the cable is 2 ft. but the one that came in the box was a little over 3 ft.
- Printed Instruction Manual: You might need a magnifying glass for the Specifications chart which is quite small but the manual is well written and easy to understand.
The Aluminum hub comes with a 3 ft. USB 3.0 cable with standard type A sized plugs at each end. The plugs have the blue interior that designate them as USB 3.0. The cable can be plugged into a USB 2.0 port but will only function at the USB 2.0 speed. When connected to a USB 3.0 port, the M3H4 hub provides data speeds up to 5 Gbps.
The M3H4 measures 3.75″L x 2.75″W x 1.25″H at its highest point in the back. The front edge slants downward to sit on the desktop. This makes it really easy to see which way a flash drive or USB plug needs to be inserted. A small blue LED light shines to the left of the ports to let you know that the hub is plugged in and active. The 3 ft. USB 3.0 cable connects to the left end of the hub and is long enough to reach around to the back of your desktop computer to attach to a USB 3.0 port.
- Compatible with any Windows (XP, Vista, 7,8) PC, Mac, or Linux Desktop or Laptop computer with the latest software updates installed.
- Backwards compatibility with USB 2.0 / 1.1
- Supports hot swapping and plug & play with no additional drivers needed.
- Incorporates a built-in surge protector to safeguard your USB devices.
- Small enough to fit in the palm of your hand
- Light aluminum design weighs almost nothing at all and takes up little space on your desk or in your bag.
- Free lifetime technical support and 18 months warranty.
The M3H4 hub supports a variety of different devices including:
- USB Flash Drive
- External Hard Drive
- Wireless Adapter
- Cell Phone
- Card Reader
- MP3 and MP4 players and more
The Instruction Manual offers valuable information and suggestions to assure that the combined power requirements for all the devices inserted in the hub do not exceed 900mA or performance might become unstable or stop completely. This hub handled the ADATA 500 GB Superior SH14 mobile hard drive in the same efficient manner as the Aukey W6PH4 hub even without a separate power supply. I found that most newer devices had lower power requirements and were less likely to have problems. I was also surprised that the ADATA 500 GB Superior SH14 mobile hard drive performed flawlessly when connected to the hub even without an external power supply. The printed manual that comes with the hub offers some usage tips and a list of typical power requirements for a variety of devices.
The Aukey M3H4 4-Port USB 3.0 Portable Desktop Hub is available on Amazon for only $18.99 with free shipping on orders over $35. That’s a far cry from the high price of a USB 3.0 hub a couple of years ago. As with all Aukey products the hub will arrive nicely boxed and suitable for gift giving. Be sure o read my review of the Aukey W6PH4 Portable 4-Port Super Speed USB 3.0 Hub which is also available at a great price from Amazon.