In recent months, Sriracha has become one of the hottest (no pun intended) flavors to incorporate into beloved dishes. Everything from being a potato chip flavor to a secret ingredient in brownies, this fiery condiment is certainly taking the world by storm. One of my favorite things to add sriracha to is pasta. If you are like me, you tire easy of the everyday marinara and alfredo sauces and yearn for something with more of a kick. Serendipitously, I discovered this recipe for baked pasta with sriracha cream sauce from www.sheknows.com
The recipe for this dish is as follows:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt (plus 1 teaspoon for boiling the pasta)
- 1/8 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 (15 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup of Sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2/3 cup of half and half
- 10 ounces of penne pasta
- 1/3 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Add oil to a skillet. Cook onions with salt and pepper until they are translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for one minute, be careful not to burn it.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, Sriracha, and oregano.
- Simmer mixture for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn of the heat and add the half and half.
- Mix well.
- Add enough water to cook your pasta into a pot. Add remaining salt.
- Bring water to a boil and cook pasta according to instructions on the package.
- Mix the noodles in with the sauce.
- Pour into a casserole dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
This is an outstanding recipe. For any Sriracha lover, this will become a staple in your recipe repertoire. If you like your dishes very spicy feel free to add more Sriracha. If you like it less spicy feel free to lessen the amount in the recipe. The half and half (in my opinion) mellows out the flavor so that you get just the right kick of spicy flavor in this dish. The mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese add a delectable dimension of flavor and a cheesy good texture. If you are looking to introduce someone to Sriracha, I highly recommend this dish.
Baltimore City residents can purchase the ingredients for this recipe at the following locations:
Whole Foods Market
1330 Smith Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21209
1020 41st Street
Baltimore, MD 21211