Bar Takito is now open at 201 N. Morgan St. in the West Loop. Bar Takito is a Latin inspired shared-plate concept from Chef/Partner David Dworshak (Takito Kitchen, Carnivale, Spring) with a complementary beverage program from GM/Partner Adam Weber (Takito Kitchen, Trenchermen, Mercadito, Roka Akor) drawing inspiration from Mexico, and Central and South America.
The restaurant opens at 11 a.m. Tuesday through Sunday for lunch and dinner and is closed on Monday. The restaurant does accept reservations as well as offer a texting option for walk-ins.
Designed by D+K Architects and Interior in conjunction with designer Alex Alcott, the space houses about 130 to 160 people. The room includes an old skylight, long-cement bar, handcrafted maple benches, distressed cedar wood tattered with ebony stains, street art by local Chicago graffiti artists, and custom antique-style lighting. The open bar and kitchen design allows Adam Weber and Chef Dworshak to closely interact with guests providing them with a heightened dining experience. About twice the size of the group’s first outpost, Takito Kitchen, Bar Takito has a semi-private area with a private bar that accommodates 40-seated guests and 50 to 60 standing. In the warmer months, Bar Takito will have a 60 to 80-seat patio along Morgan St.
The menu, which uses fresh and local ingredients, focuses on seasonal shared plates, ceviches, seafood from the plancha, arepas and more. In line with the restaurant’s name, Chef Dworshak has integrated several elements of the bar together with the food utilizing ingredients like bitters, hops, malt, spirits, beer and wine. Staying true to its Takito roots, the menu does contain a few taco options, and many of the shared plates are available with tortillas.
Menu items range in price from $6 to $26. The complete menu can be found here and highlights include:
• Pork Shoulder Mixiotes served with beer tortillas, chile herb rubbed pork cooked in banana leaves, mezcal, tomato salad, avocado, sesame and cilantro
• Esquites with grilled corn, corn flan, queso fresco, chile aioli, brown butter and cilantro
• Charred Carrots with hop maguey fresh cheese, Urban Till swiss chard and almonds
• Arctic Char Ceviche with corn broth, sun gold tomatoes, manzana chile, nasturtium, Urban Till basil and whiskey
The complementary beverage program led by Adam Weber offers an expansive specialty cocktail and margarita selection, as well as over 25 craft and import beers. A selection of sparkling, rose, white and red wine is available for $9/glass and $36/bottle along with several non-alcoholic drinks like seasonal and hibiscus agua frescas and Mexican cowboy coffee.
Cocktails range in price from $9 to $12. The complete beverage menu is available here, and highlights include:
• Sangria del Toro with China China, Carpano Antica and blood orange soda
• Cubes with choice of vodka, rum, tequila or mezcal, served with blueberry and a yuzu cube
• Peruvian Margarita with lime, agave, Cointreau, aji amarillo, and Corazon Blanco
Bar Takito is located 201 N. Morgan Street in Chicago’s West Loop. For more information, please visit www.bartakito.com.