Back in 2011, soon after the Craft Brewers Conference took place in San Francisco, a group of brewers from the South Bay and nearby areas started getting together regularly to talk shop and share beers. They recognized the advantages of working together to introduce more locals and visitors alike to their hand-crafted, locally made offerings and proceeded to establish the Bay Brewers Guild, attaining tax-exempt nonprofit status in late 2012.
- To bring together, promote and raise the profile of the brewing community that exists throughout the greater Silicon Valley
- Raise awareness of craft beer culture while celebrating its rich history
- Support other local non-profit causes
- Act as a resource for fellow brewers
- Brew great beer
Since then, the Guild has enlisted breweries – about 32 at last count – from across the region, including Monterey, Santa Cruz, South Bay, Peninsula and the East Bay.
Many actively participate in the annual Meet the Brewers Festival held at San Jose’s Hermitage Brewing Company and the SubZero Festival in downtown San Jose.
An upcoming event featuring Guild members is the Fourth Annual Monterey Beer Garden, hosted by Peter B’s Brewpub, taking place Sep. 27 at the Custom House Plaza behind the Portola Hotel & Spa.
The next Beerwalk, the Halloween edition, returns to Willow Glen on Oct. 25 and features mainly Guild members.
And plans are on track for the Guild to host their first ever event organized from the ground up – Winter Beer Festival. According to Bay Brewers Guild president Dan Satterthwaite (who is set to open New Bohemia Brewing Company in Santa Cruz later this year), the event will take place in the South Bay in January. Expect 10 to 15 breweries to pour their finest offerings for the winter, including strong ales and other holiday seasonals.
While a website is in the works, the Guild’s Facebook page provides the latest updates on member news and events.
The following is a list of the current Bay Brewers Guild members:
- Altamont Beer Works, Livermore
- Alvarado Street Brewery, Monterey
- Black Diamond Brewing, Concord
- Boulder Creek Brewery & Cafe
- Brewery Twenty Five, Hollister (opening soon)
- Corralitos Brewing, Watsonville (opening soon)
- Discretion Brewing, Soquel
- El Toro Brewing, Morgan Hill
- English Ales Brewery, Marina
- Faultline Brewing, Sunnyvale
- FireHouse Grill & Brewery, Sunnyvale
- Freewheel Brewing, Redwood City
- Gordon Biersch Brewing, San Jose
- Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant, San Jose
- Half Moon Bay Brewing
- Hermitage Brewing, San Jose
- Highway 1 Brewing, Pescadero
- Los Gatos Brewing
- New Bohemia Brewing, Santa Cruz (opening soon)
- Palo Alto Brewing
- Peter B’s Brewpub, Monterey
- Rabbit’s Foot Meadery, Sunnyvale
- Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery, Campbell
- Santa Clara Valley Brewing, San Jose
- Santa Cruz Ale Works
- Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing
- Sante Adairius Rustic Ales, Capitola
- Seabright Brewery, Santa Cruz
- Strike Brewing, San Jose
- Tied House Brewery & Cafe, Mountain View
- The Rare Barrel, Berkeley
- Uncommon Brewers, Santa Cruz
Breweries interested in the Guild can visit the Facebook page or contact Satterthwaite or any of the other brewers directly.
To receive updates whenever a new article is published, please subscribe. For Twitter updates, please follow @gratefulhubby. Please drink responsibly. Prost! Gun bae! Cheers!