Broadway Global and Florida Theatre Chat share today’s breaking Silver Palm Awrads news. The South Florida Silver Palm Theatre Awards committee, founded seven years ago to honor theatrical excellence in South Florida, has announced that this year it will present the coveted award to 26 individuals and organizations. “The Silver Palm Awards are presented annually to those who’ve made an outstanding or unique contribution to South Florida Theatre,” explained Silver Palm Awards Executive Committee Chairman Tony Finstrom. “There are no nominees, no winners or losers, and no limit to the number of citations given in any ‘category,’ though there really are no official categories.” “But yikes!,” says Finstrom. “We’ve never given out so many awards before!” “It seems,” he adds, “this year was truly a banner year for extraordinary talent displayed on the stages of South Florida Theatre. And I can easily think of a dozen others who could’ve/should’ve been included on this list. But the votes for them just weren’t there.” The awards are determined by a vote of the South Florida Theatre Press Corp, who Finstrom drafts each year into submitting recommendations for outstanding contributions to South Florida Theatre.
Finstrom (a playwright), Becon TV talk show host Iris Acker, and South Florida International Press Club President and Florida Media News/ENV Magazine critic Ron Levitt compose the Silver Palm Executive Committee, who receive the recommendations from South Florida journalists and theatre critics, then tally the votes and draw up the final list of recipients. This year’s Silver Palm Advisory Council consisted of Christine Dolen (The Miami Herald), Bill Hirschman (FloridaTheaterOnStage.com, and FloridaWeekly.com), John Thomason (New Times, and Boca Raton Magazine), J.W. Arnold (South Florida Gay News), Roger Martin (MiamiArtzine.com), Michelle F. Solomon (MiamiArtzine.com, and FloridaTheaterOnStage.com), Skip Sheffield (Boca Raton Tribune, Atlantic Avenue Magazine, and L.A.’s Realize Magazine), Jeffrey Bruce (TalkinBroadway.com), Richard Cameron (Theatre Chat at yeahstub.com, and www.BroadwayGlobal.org), and Mary Damiano (BroadwayWorld.Com, FloridaTheaterOnStage.com, and South Florida Gay News.)
Silver Palm Awards have been presented to over 90 individuals and/or groups during the previous six theatre seasons, and the “2013-2014 Season” consisted of shows that opened between September 1st, 2013 and August 31st, 2014. This year the awards presentation will be held during the annual Theatre League Holiday Party at STACHE, a 1920s drinking den located at 109 SW Second Ave. in downtown Fort Lauderdale on Monday, December 1st, 2014, from 7:30 PM to 10:00 PM. The party is open to the public, but there is a $25 admission charge. Theatre League members attend free of charge. Call League Executive Director Andie Arthur for reservations, and further information, at 954-557-0778. For more information on South Florida’s Silver Palm Theatre Awards, go to: www.silverpalmawards.com.
The 2013-2014 Silver Palm Award recipients, in alphabetical order, are: –
- ALLIANCE THEATRE LAB / Producer Adalberto J. Acevedo, for the Outstanding ‘SAVAGE IN LIMBO’ Ensemble: Shira Abergel, Curtiz Belz, Valentina Izarra, Christian Vandepas, Breeza Marena Zeller (Award to the Producer).
- AMY MILLER BRENNAN, for her Outstanding Performances in ‘RUTHLESS,’ ‘THE WHALE,’ and ‘CHESS’
- CLAY CARTLAND, for his Outstanding Performances in ‘THE TROUBLE WITH DOUG,’ ‘WHAT’S NEW PUSSYCAT?,’ ‘NEXT TO NORMAL,’ and ‘CLARK GABLE SLEPT HERE’
- MATTHEW WILLIAM CHIZEVER, for his Outstanding Performance in ‘MISS JULIE’
- CHRISTOPHER DEMOS-BROWN, for his Outstanding New Work ‘FEAR UP HARSH’
- ELIZABETH DIMON, for her Outstanding Performances in ‘THE LONGING AND THE SHORT OF IT,’ ‘DIVIDING THE ESTATE,’ and ‘SUMMER SHORTS’
- VANESSA ELISE, Outstanding New Talent in ‘CLARK GABLE SLEPT HERE’
- BRIT MICHAEL GORDON, Outstanding New Talent in ‘BUTTERFLIES ARE FREE’
- PATTI GARDNER, for her Outstanding Performances in ‘PIPPIN,’ ‘THE ANARCHIST,’ and ‘SONS OF THE PROPHET’
- CHRISTINA GROOM, for her Outstanding Performances in ‘GIDION’S KNOT,’ and ‘HAVE I GOT A GIRL FOR YOU’
- WILLIAM HAYES, for his Outstanding Work as Producing Artistic Director of PALM BEACH DRAMAWORKS
- ARIELLE HOFFMAN, Outstanding New Talent in ‘THE WHALE’
- RON HUTCHINS, for his Outstanding Choreography in ‘THEY’RE PLAYING OUR SONG,’ ‘ SPAMALOT,’ ‘ ‘AIN’T MISBEHAVIN’,’ ‘PIPPIN,’ and ’42ND STREET’
- JULIE KLEINER, for her Outstanding Performances in ’42ND STREET,’ and ‘WHITE CHRISTMAS’
- MATTHEW KORINKO, for his Outstanding Performance in ‘CHESS’
- MICHAEL McKEEVER, for his Outstanding Performances in ‘THE PRIDE,’ ‘THE TIMEKEEPERS, and ‘CLARK GABLE SLEPT HERE’; AND for his Outstanding New Work ‘CLARK GABLE SLEPT HERE’
- NAKED STAGE / Producer Katherine Amadeo, for producing eight thrilling years of the ’24 Hour Theatre Project’
- ANN MARIE OLSON, for her Outstanding Performances in ‘PARADE,’ and ‘CHURCH’
- PIGS DO FLY PRODUCTIONS / Producer Ellen Wacher, for developing works for actors over the age of 50
- JESSICA BROOKE SANFORD, Outstanding New Talent in ‘FEAR UP HARSH,’ and ‘[title of show]’
- MANNY SCHVARTZMANN, for his Outstanding Musical Direction at Slow Burn Theatre Company
- KAREN STEPHENS, for her Outstanding Performances in ‘FEAR UP HARSH,’ and ‘THE MOUNTAINTOP’
- SHANE TANNER, for his Outstanding Performances in ‘THE TROUBLE WITH DOUG,’ and ‘FEAR UP HARSH’
- ELLIS TILLMAN, for his Outstanding Costumes for ‘THE WHALE,’ ‘RUTHLESS,’ and ‘SPAMALOT’
- THE WICK THEATRE / Executive Producer Marilynn A. Wick, Outstanding New Theatre Company
- GABRIEL ZENONE, for his Outstanding Performances in ‘RUTHLESS,’ and ‘ASSASSINS’
Broadway Global thanks Tony Finstrom (a playwright), Becon TV talk show host Iris Acker, and South Florida International Press Club President and Florida Media News/ENV Magazine critic Ron Levitt who compose the Silver Palm Executive Committee. Also special congratulations to all 26 of the Silver Palm Award recipients and the South Florida journalists, theatre critics that make up the acclaimed Silver Palm Advisory Council. Florida is the fun in the sun arts destination. Share your auditions and shows in Florida Theatre Chat, and your arts story could be spotlighted in our next Broadway Global exclusive here on examiner. We will see you at the Silver Palm Awards.