The boxing landscape has shifted once again, as today, Golden Boy Promotions held a press conference to announce that Canelo Alvarez will make return to HBO, after signing a multi-fight deal.
“For all of my career, I have wanted to fight on HBO for one main reason-I believe it will allow more of my fans to see me in action,” said Alvarez (44-1-1, 31 KOs). “Today marks a huge milestone for me, and I look forward to a long and successful partnership with HBO.”
While Alvarez has been fighting exclusively on Showtime, starting with a 2012 bout against Josesito Lopez, which of course included the record-breaking (highest grossing) meeting with Floyd Mayweather, Alvarez is now returning to the network that brought him into the mainstream.
“Everyone at HBO is excited to welcome back Canelo Alvarez to the HBO family, and we can’t wait to re-introduce him to our subscribers,” said Ken Hershman, president of HBO Sports. “At only 24-years-old, Canelo has already established himself as one of the boxing world’s brightest stars, and we look forward to a long and mutually beneficial relationship as we embark on this new chapter together. We are delighted to partner with Oscar de la Hoya and Golden Boy Promotions in presenting Canelo’s fights and events on our various platforms.”
This has certainly have to be a huge blow for rival Showtime, which had been closing the gap between the network and HBO in terms of high-profile bouts, that began taking shape after Golden Boy had a falling out with HBO. However, with Bernard Hopkins becoming the first big GBP fighter to go back to HBO (he’ll face Sergey Kovalev), this obviously opened up the doors for Oscar De La Hoya and Co. to mend some fences.
“I’m thrilled to be part of this historic agreement between Canelo Alvarez and HBO Sports, an agreement that marks another major step in Golden Boy Promotions’ primary goal-to give boxing fans the fights they want to see,” said De La Hoya. “Canelo is the best young fighter in the sport, and this move will help line him up to fight top opponents in the sport for many years to come.”
Alvarez mentioned during a conference call that one of the biggest reasons for his switch back to HBO was that Floyd Mayweather has been fighting in May and September, which are the two big months with Mexican holidays, and as such, has been unable to take advantage of the Cinco de Mayo and Mexican Independence Day weekends.
Though neither Alvarez or De La Hoya would comment on how long the deal was made for, Alvarez did acknowledge that it is “long term.” Meanwhile, Alvarez is set to return on Dec. 6, with former welterweight titlist Joshua Clottey being the frontrunner to get that fight. Should Canelo be victorious, that could open the door for a huge middleweight bout with middleweight champ Miguel Cotto in May or June.
It should be noted that after Richard Schaefer, who helped form the allegiance with Showtime, resigned from the company, De La Hoya took over day-to-day operations and has begun working with HBO and recently made amends with Bob Arum and Top Rank.