Announced Friday, Konami producer David Cox has left the publisher after 17 years.
Responsible for the “Castlevania: Lords of Shadow” games, Cox tweeted his reason for leaving the Japanese publisher: “After seventeen years I have decided to leave Konami to explore new opportunities. Today is my final day with the company.” Cox acknowledge his start at the company as UK product manager in 1997, with “Castlevania: Symphony of the Night” being his first title. He also went on about his involvement with other Konami series, such as “Metal Gear Solid,” “Silent Hill,” “Pro Evolution Soccer,” “Suikoden,” and “Dancing Stage.”
“Castlevania,” however, seemed to hold a special place for Cox, based on his tweets: “I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would be given the opportunity to lead the development of a Castlevania. I never imagined it would become the best selling Castlevania game in the series history either.” In leaving Konami, Cox says goodbye to potentially working on a new “Contra” series, as he expressed interest last year. After thanking those he worked with at Konami, Cox says he’s taking a break, before telling anyone what he has planned for the future.
The last “Castlevania” game Cox was credited with was “Lords of Shadow 2,” which was seen as a disappointment by critics. While never authorized, rumors of sever development problems with MercurySteam was cited as the cause of “Lords of Shadow 2” poor reception. It’s unknown where Konami will take the “Castlevania” series now, but with the “Silent Hill” reboot currently underway, it wouldn’t be far-fetched to expect the same for the classic gaming series.