Florida State had one of their best comebacks in a place that they usually don’t win on Saturday. Down 24-7 to North Carolina State in the first quarter, the Seminoles roared back for a 56-41 victory. It gave Florida State their 20th consecutive victory, and Jameis Winston threw for four touchdowns. Still, Florida State dropped in the coaches poll on Sunday.
Three of the top five teams in the updated power poll had a bye week. Therefore, we didn’t have any movement within the top 10. However, there are six games between ranked foes next week.
The week should be highlighted by Alabama’s visit to Ole Miss. We’ll see if one of these teams are overrated and outmatched.
UCLA had an explosive spurt to trounce Arizona State, and they finally looked like the team that everyone expected to see. How far did the Bruins move up based on their win?
Welcome to the fifth edition of William’s Power Poll. You can also check last week’s power poll here.
1. Oklahoma Sooners: The Sooners enjoyed a much needed bye week, but they get back to the Big 12 schedule when they face their toughest road game to date. Next game vs. TCU.
2. Florida State Seminoles: The Seminoles erased a 17 point first quarter deficit to beat North Carolina State 56-41. Florida State must get their defense back up to par. Next game vs. Wake Forest.
3. Alabama Crimson Tide: Alabama moved to No.1 in the coaches poll without playing a game. Their bye week was just in time to prepare for one of the undefeated SEC West foes. Next game vs. Ole Miss.
4. Oregon Ducks: Oregon also have a bye week, and they start the weekend off right with a Thursday night game. They’ll get a chance to measure some revenge from last season. Next game vs. Arizona.
5. Auburn Tigers: Auburn finally got their offense on track with some big plays, but their consistency hasn’t been all the way their yet. It’s time for Tigers to put their best foot forward. They’ll get to avenge one of their two losses from last season. Next game vs. LSU
6. Texas A&M Aggies: The Aggies gave a up a 51 yard fake punt for a touchdown. They also had to deal with the powerful running attack from Arkansas. Still, the Aggies were able to win in overtime behind Kenny Hill’s spectacular play. Next game vs. Mississippi State.
7. Baylor Bears: Baylor won their second of three consecutive road games. The offense should be getting ready to flourish as October rolls around. Next game vs. Texas.
8. Notre Dame Fighting Irish: Notre Dame had their worst offensive performance of the season against Syracuse. Now they have their toughest game of the season coming up. Next game vs. Stanford.
9. Michigan State Spartans: The Spartans have put astronomical offensive numbers in the last couple weeks. Michigan State starts their Big 10 schedule. Next game vs. Nebraska.
10. Mississippi State Bulldogs: Dax Prescott and company had a bye week after beating LSU. Now they have another Top 10 opponent. Next game vs. Texas A&M.
11. UCLA Bruins: The Bruins finally put together a complete effort in their destruction of Arizona State. UCLA must avoid the upset on Saturday. Next game vs. Utah.
12. Georgia Bulldogs: The Georgia offense might be getting some of their receivers back in the lineup. Now they need to make plays in the passing game to help out Todd Gurley and the rushing attack. Next game vs. Vanderbilt.
13. Ole Miss Rebels: If Ole Miss is going to show the country progress, they’ll have their first chance on Saturday. Next game vs. Alabama.
14. BYU Cougars: BYU also had a bye week. The undefeated Cougars have a rivalry game coming up. Next game vs. Utah State
15. Stanford Cardinal: Stanford hasn’t been great offensively, They probably have the best defense in the country. The Cardinal are in a must win situation. Next game vs. Notre Dame.
16. LSU Tigers: LSU already lost a game in the SEC West. Now they have another huge game to start October. Next game vs. Auburn.