Mississippi State had the biggest road victory of the season. Dak Prescott and the Bulldogs’ offense thoroughly dominated and confused LSU all night long. They almost had the type of performance to move into the Top 5 of the power poll, but a let down in the fourth quarter changed that.
Oklahoma had a tremendous road effort with their double digit win over West Virginia. Even without Keith Ford, the Sooners hammered the ball with Samaje Perine. It’s a different looking Oklahoma team this season. Within the Top 10, they were the biggest risers of the power poll.
College football’s coaches poll released.
Due to losses, LSU and Missouri dropped out of the updated Power Poll. Stanford and Mississippi State replaced these teams. After this weekend, there will be more upheaval in poll as conference play looms.
Here is the fourth edition of William’s Power Poll, We also have the third edition of the power poll here.
1. Oklahoma Sooners: Samaje Perine turned his first start into his personal running back showcase. Perine gained 242 yards and four touchdowns for the Sooners in the 45-33 win over West Virginia. It was one of the biggest road wins of the season. Oklahoma has a bye week. Next game vs. TCU
2. Florida State Seminoles: The Seminoles had every chance to lose their first game in 19 tries. Yet, they still found a way to pull out an overtime victory. They have another tough road game looming. Next game vs. North Carolina State
3. Alabama Crimson Tide: If it wasn’t for the fumbles, Alabama might be the No.1 team in the power poll. However, they were playing a one dimensional Florida team that could only score off of those turnovers. Blake Sims is morphing into a Heisman candidate. They are on a bye. Next game vs. Ole Miss
Updated College football playoff projections.
4. Oregon Ducks: If Marcus Mariota wasn’t completing passes against Washington State, he was getting sacked. So far, its feast or famine with the Oregon offense. The running game isn’t what we’ve been used to. They have bye before facing off with Arizona on Thursday night.
5. Auburn Tigers: Auburn escaped Kansas State with a six point victory. The Tigers have one more game before jump deep into SEC play. It will be a good time to get the running game going again. Next game vs. LA. Tech
6. Texas A&M Aggies: Another game, another blowout for the Texas A&M Aggies. Well, they’ll have their first test since smashing South Carolina to open the season. Kenny Hill gets to take center stage again. Next game vs. Arkansas.
7. Baylor Bears: Fresh off of a bye week, Baylor gets back to their Big 12 title quest with a road game at Iowa State. The Cyclones have stood toe to toe with Kansas State and beat Iowa. Still, they haven’t seen an offense like Baylor’s with Bryce Petty.
8. Notre Dame Fighting Irish: The undefeated Irish rested up during their bye week. They are ready for the first road game of the year. Everett Golson has lost one game as a starter. Next game vs. Syracuse.
9. Michigan State Spartans: The Spartans put up 73 points on Eastern Michigan. They have one more tune up before Big 10 play arises. Next game vs. Wyoming.
10. Mississippi State Bulldogs: Mississippi State had the biggest road win of the season. They dominated LSU for the majority of the game before they almost let it slip away. Dak Prescott is the real deal. Now they get to rest up during the bye. Next game vs. Texas A&M.
11. UCLA Bruins: The Bruins have struggled out the gates, but they keep finding ways to win. They had a bye week, and hopefully Brett Hundley will be ready to go after an elbow injury. Next game vs. Arizona State.
12. Georgia Bulldogs: Georgia dropped 66 points on Troy. Todd Gurley carried the ball six times for 73 yards. Sony Michel received the bulk of the work with 10 carries for 155 yards and three touchdowns. Next game vs. Tennessee.
13. Ole Miss Rebels: Ole Miss breezed through the bye week. Now they have a trap game with Memphis coming up. If they get by that, then we can see how far the Rebels have come. Next game vs. Memphis.
14. Arizona State Sun Devils: The Sun Devils are without their starting quarterback Taylor Kelly. Let’s see what they have to offer in a PAC-12 showdown. Next game vs. UCLA.
15. BYU Cougars: BYU survived and up and coming Virginia team behind Taysom Hill’s stellar play. The Cougars made it through September without a loss. They have a by week coming up. Next game vs. Utah State
16. Stanford Cardinal: This defense has two shutouts on the season. Unfortunately, they lost a game due to missed opportunities. Stanford looks like the best defense in the country, but it will be put to the test starting now. Next game vs. Washington.