Candy corn and crispy rice treats combined make for easy, inexpensive Halloween treats whether you are a kid or an adult. Any brand of crispy rice cereal works in this recipe, feel free to buy store or generic brands of marshmallows and candy corn.
If you don’t have miniature marshmallows, use 4½ cups regular marshmallows. No miniature chocolate chips? Use regular sized chocolate chips, just give them a coarse chop before adding to the candy corn crispy treats recipe.
If you find orange food coloring? Use 3 to 4 parts yellow food coloring to 1 part red food coloring to get the desired shade of orange you want.
You will need a couple of large microwave-safe bowls, a jelly-roll pan or rectangular cookie sheet with sides and maybe a pair of plastic gloves to make this recipe.
Crispy rice candy corn treat recipe
- Ingredients for crispy rice candy corn treats:
- ½ cup butter or margarine (4 ounces = 1 stick)
- 10 cups crispy rice cereal
- 9 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 cups candy corn
- ¾ cup miniature chocolate chips
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Orange food coloring, optional
- candy pumpkins for decoration
How to make crispy rice candy corn treats:
- In a large bowl, mix together crispy rice cereal, candy corn and miniature chips. Set aside. Prepare jelly roll pan or cookie sheets by spraying with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a very large bowl microwave-safe, melt butter on 100 percent for approximately 30 to 45 seconds. When butter is melted, carefully remove bowl from microwave.
- Stir in marshmallows and microwave on 50 percent power for approximately another 30 to 45 seconds. Carefully remove bowl from microwave and stir mixture until smooth. Return to microwave for 15 to 30 more seconds at 50 percent power, if needed.
- Add ½ teaspoon of orange food coloring to marshmallow mixture if using. For more intense orange color add a few extra drops of food coloring.
- Gradually add cereal mixture to marshmallow mixture until completely incorporated. Stir as quickly as you can.
- Using a silicone spatula and, spread the mixture on a prepared pans. Pat the crispy rice and candy corn treats mixture down into pan with gloved hands. Or, spray your hands with non-stick cooking spray before patting mixture into pan.
- While candy corn crispy treats are still warm, press on candy pumpkins spaced 1 to 2 inches apart, if desired. Refrigerate for a few hours then cut candy corn crispy treats into 10 to 12 squares and serve.
- You can also cut the candy corn crispy treats into smaller squares, making 20 to 24 instead of 10 to 12. Wrap in wax paper or plastic wrap pass out as treats at your child’s Halloween party.