The sweetness along with the light but dense cake is a delicious delight available for breakfast with coffee, after school with milk, or as an extra surprise after a home cooked meal.
Coffee cake is a light and enjoyable baked confection. With a little homemade icing and some streusel topping, this simple coffee cake turns into a dream come true.
- 2 cups of Bisquick
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium sized Granny Smith cooking apples
- 2/3 cup of Bisquick
- 2/3 cup of brown sugar
- ¼ cup of butter
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons of milk
- ½ cup of confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 400’.
- Grease or spray a 9’ Corning Ware, Pyrex or similar baking pan.
- Peel and core cooking apples (Granny Smith) then cut them into thin wedge slices.
- In a large mixing bowl; mix the egg, Bisquick, sugar, vanilla extract and milk together until a well blended batter forms.
- Dice the butter while cold into small pieces.
- Using a large mixing bowl; combine the butter, cinnamon, brown sugar and Bisquick together using the pastry blade on an electric mixer.
Mix until ingredients are crumbly and set bowl aside for now.
- Pour half the batter mixture into the Corning Ware baking pan.
- Top the batter with half the streusel mixture.
- Add all the thinly sliced apple wedges.
- Pour the remaining batter over the apple slices.
- Top with the remaining streusel topping.
- While the cake is in the oven this is the opportune time to prepare the icing.
- Mix the milk and confectioners’ sugar well. The icing needs to be smooth and silky looking.
- Bake in oven for 25-35 minutes. Insert toothpick in center of cake. If toothpick comes out clean the cake is cooked through. If not, return to oven and check after 5 minute intervals.
- Remove from oven and place pan on a trivet or pot holder.
- Allow cake to cool for 20 minutes.
- Do not remove cake from pan.
- Drizzle icing over apple coffee cake while cake is still warm.
- Leave cake in pan, it will not flip out as most basic cakes would.
- If the icing is too much, sprinkle chopped nuts (any variety) on top of apple coffee cake.
- Terrific choice for office parties, Church functions, inner desserts or a morning breakfast treat.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved