Reported by J.S. Fletcher and Kathy M. Newbern ©2014
A panel of top cruise writers assembled by Bon Voyage, a year-old digital travel magazine published by Cruiseline.com, have chosen winners in 35 categories including General Excellence, Cabins and Food, Entertainment and Destination.
Cruising today is among the most popular forms of travel, and with new ships coming to the high seas, more exotic destinations offered, ship-board cuisine taking off to new levels and more bang for the travel buck, selecting the best is a way of assisting new and repeat travelers in making decisions that will lead to a vacation of a lifetime.
With nearly 70 cruises under our belts, we have looked over the list, noting ships we have been on, ports we’ve visited, and lines we are very familiar with. These citations awarded by Bon Voyage certainly point toward the best.
Here are the top winners in each category:
- Best Mainstream Line - Disney Cruise Line
- Best Premium Line - Oceania Cruises
- Best Luxury Line – Crystal Cruises
- Best for Couples - SeaDream Yacht Club
- Best for Singles – Norwegian Cruise Line
- Best for Multigenerational Families – Disney Cruise Line
- Best Service – Crystal Cruises
- Best Value - Holland America Line
- Best New Ship – Norwegian Getaway
- Best Refurbished Ship – Carnival Sunshine
- Best Mainstream Cabins - Disney Cruise Line
- Best Premium Cabins - Oceania Cruises
- Best Luxury Cabins - Silversea Cruises
- Most Innovative Cabins – Celebrity Reflection Sea View Suite
- Best Food - Crystal Cruises
- Most Improved Food – Carnival Cruise Lines
- Best Free Takeaway Fare – Carnival’s Blue Iguana Cantina
- Best Onboard Daytime Activities – Royal Caribbean International
- Best Onboard Evening Entertainment – Disney Cruise Line
- Best Nightlife - Celebrity Cruises
- Best Water Parks – Royal Caribbean International
- Best Services for Children (Under 3) – Disney Cruise Line
- Best Services for Children (Age 3 – 12) – Disney Cruise Line
- Best Services for Teens – Royal Caribbean International
- Best for Beaches - French Polynesia
- Best for Culture - Western Mediterranean
- Best for Food Lovers – Western Mediterranean
- Best for Nature Lovers – Galapagos Islands
- Best Caribbean Port – Tortola
- Best Alaska Port – Juneau
- Best Eastern Mediterranean Port - Venice, Italy
- Best Western Mediterranean Port – Barcelona, Spain
- Best Baltic Port – Copenhagen, Denmark
- Best Asian Port - Shanghai
- Best South Pacific Port - Sydney
Our special take on a great destination is Antarctica, which we visited a few years back.
Again, we have listed only the top award winners; for a complete listing of Gold, Silver and Bronze selections, go to Bon Voyage Awards.
If you’ve been on any of these lines or to any of the places, good for you. If you haven’t, it’s time for you pack your bags and get going.
And if you just can’t get away on a cruise right now, consider a bit of armchair travel in one of YourNovel.com’s personalized romance novels set aboard a cruise ship.
If you enjoyed this story, you might also enjoy:
• Other stories by Newbern and Fletcher
• Other Stories by JS Fletcher,
• Stories by Kathy M. Newbern, Luxury Travel Examiner
International Travel Examiners J.S. Fletcher and spouse, Kathy M. Newbern, report on luxury destinations, spas and cruising around the globe. They are award-winning members of the Society of American Travel Writers and created YourSpaReport.com and YourNovel.com, their personalized romance novel business.