This is an easy recipe to make, yet is a great dish to show off some of your cooking skills.
Ingredients (8 servings)
1 cup uncooked brown rice
2 cups water
1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups tomato sauce
1 cup veggie broth
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 pound organic ground beef
1/4 pound organic hot Italian pork sausage
4 small diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
4 large green bell pepper, halved and seeded
1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F / 190 degrees C
- Bring the rice and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the cooked rice from the heat.
- Cook onion and olive oil over medium heat until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Transfer half of cooked onion to a large bowl and set aside.
- Stir tomato sauce, beef broth, balsamic vinegar, and red pepper flakes into the skillet; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Pour tomato sauce mixture into a 9×13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Combine ground beef, Italian sausage, diced tomatoes, Italian parsley, garlic, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper into bowl with reserved onions; mix well. Stir in cooked rice and cheese. Stuff green bell peppers with beef and sausage mixture.
- Place stuffed green bell pepper halves in the baking dish over tomato sauce; sprinkle with remaining cheese, cover baking dish with aluminum foil, and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil and bake until the meat is no longer pink, the green peppers are tender and the cheese is browned on top, an addition 20 to 25 minutes.