Maybe the public is finally beginning to wise up to the problems at the country’s southern border.
In recent weeks, waves and waves of illegal aliens (many of whom are children from Central America) have been inundating border patrol check points, most notably in Texas and Arizona. With the message from Washington, D.C. essentially being get here safely and you can likely stay, thousands upon thousands of illegals have been crossing into Texas and Arizona, willingly surrendering to border patrol agents. The goal, hopefully start a new life in the U.S.
So, many on the left side of the political aisle would ask…. what’s wrong with that?
As the old notion goes, let me count the ways….
1. This country is already inundated with illegal aliens to the tune of millions. Adding more to the mix, especially many children who were purposely “shipped” here is not going to help that problem;
2. Given the lack of health services in a number of Central American countries, many of these kids likely come here with various health issues;
3. Many children are exploited not only in Central America, but also here in the U.S. The risk of sex trafficking greatly increases with this wave of children coming here, many not with their parents;
4. The potential for terror attacks (yes, even with children coming here) increases. If anyone thinks someone won’t put a child up to an attack with a bomb etc. just read some of the news that comes out of the Middle East regularly. Although the odds of something like that happening on our southern borders are minimal, it just takes one successful attack to prove a point.
5. With Border Patrol authorities being overwhelmed with the children coming here, it means less manpower and efforts available to track and go after criminals (especially in the drug trade) attempting to cross the various southern border checkpoints.
Some 300 children scheduled to fly to San Diego area
As recently as this past week, officials announced that they had temporarily postponed efforts to fly some 300 illegal alien children to the San Diego area, this with both Texas and Arizona authorities overwhelmed by the amount of illegals arriving in the U.S. in recent weeks.
According to reports, U.S. Border Patrol union rep Gabe Pacheco stated he thinks the change was made due to mounting public pressure. If that is the case, good. To date this year, the San Diego sector has apprehended more than 700 unaccompanied kids, according to U.S. Border Patrol officials.
In a story on NBC 7 San Diego, Enrique Morones with San Diego-based non-profit Border Angels noted the group is unveiling a campaign to gather food, clothing and donations to assist.
With that in mind, here is an even better idea…. How about they collect donations for airline flights to fly as many of the children back to Honduras, Guatemala, Mexico and other original staging points?
Yes, you will likely be branded as uncaring and/or a bigot if you suggest such ideas. That said, many in the public are simply saying enough is enough.
In a country where many American children (those actually born here to American parents) can’t find enough food to eat daily or clothing and toys to keep them happy, we do not need to be inundating Texas, Arizona, California, Massachusetts and other states with hundreds and thousands of illegal aliens.
With both political parties having failed miserably at a sustainable and intelligent immigration reform law, this recent wave of illegal alien children coming to the U.S. is one major fallout.
The only way (besides more financial resources thrown at the border) to stem the flow of illegals coming here is for the public to rise up and say enough is enough.
Maybe, just maybe this time around, that will hopefully happen.