McDonald’s has gotten a lot of bad publicity about their ingredients, lawsuits from people who claim it is McDonald’s fault they are overweight and unhealthy, and even a documentary showing how a man gained weight by eating nothing but McDonald’s and all of the health problems he developed as a result If the same man would have produced the same documentary, but instead of ordering cheese burgers and fries, order salads, oatmeal, and apple slices, the outcome would have probably been a lot different.
McDonald’s is not responsible for our eating habits and food choices. As responsible adults we should know to eat unhealthy foods in moderation or not at all, and monitor our children’s diets. If we do not feel the ingredients in the chicken nuggets are healthy, we simply do not order them. . McDonald’s is not unlike all other fast food restaurants and any adult should know that fast food is typically not a healthy choice. However, since we are a society of people on the go, we often find ourselves making those bad choices for the sake of time.
McDonald’s actually does have a selection of low calorie food items, and it is up to the consumer to choose those items over the more fattening, unhealthy cheeseburger and fries. One of the lowest calorie salads out there is filling and delicious and found at McDonald’s, the Southwestern Salad. Compare this salad to most salads available and you fill find it is one of the best choices. Some of McDonald’s low calorie menu items are:
• Premium Southwest Salad (140 calories)
• Premium Southwest Salad with Grilled Chicken (290 calories)
• Newman’s Own Southwest Dressing (100 calories)
• Premium Bacon Ranch Salad (140 calories)
• Premium Bacon Ranch Salad with Grilled Chicken (230 calories)
• Newman’s Own Ranch Dressing (170 calories)
• Side salad (20 calories)
• Newman’s Own Low-fat Balsamic Vinaigrette (35 calories)
• Newman’s Own Low-fat Family Recipe Italian Dressing (50 calories)
• Fruit & Maple Oatmeal (290 calories)
• Fruit & Maple Oatmeal without brown sugar (260 calories)
• Egg White Delight (250 calories)
• Apple slices (15 calories)
• Fruit and Yogurt Parfait (150 calories)
• Chipotle Barbeque Snack Wrap, grilled (260 calories)
• Honey Mustard Snack Wrap, grilled (260 calories)
McDonald’s and most other fast food restaurants have made an attempt to make healthier choices available to its customers, but it is up to the customer to choose them.