In the midst of an $8 million renovation, Farmhouse Inn in Forestville, Calif., (hub of the beautiful Russian River Valley) has introduced customized excursions that allow guests to experience the best local flavors of Sonoma County. Six personal concierges are available to put together a customized itinerary for each guest.
Ensuring that every visitor feels as a personal guests of the Bartolomei family (fifth generation farmers and vineyard owners) who own the property, the new “Farmhouse Expeditions” experiences allow guests to experience the best local summer flavors of Sonoma County with hand-on activities.
The new “Farmhouse Expeditions” experiences include:
• Orchard to Jam: Guests can pick their herbs of choice at Farmhouse Inn’s gardens followed by a tour of Dry Creek Peach & Produce while sipping on white peach Bellinis and peach tasting along the way. Then head to Relish Culinary center for chef-led instruction on making peach-basil jam followed by a fresh farm lunch incorporating fresh peaches and wine.
• Butchering 101: Butcher a pig with Duskie Estes and John Stewart of Zazu Kitchen + Farm! Guests will learn about the farm where the pigs are raised, their diets and the right way of butchering. The class finishes with hands-on roast tying and guests can go home with a cut of pork.
• Summer Foraging Tour: Explore the Russian River Valley’s farms and learn about all the locally-sourced ingredients in wine country. Start with a guided tour of Farmhouse Inn’s gardens with expert gardener Jana Mariposa, who will walk guests through beds of edible flowers and herbs, and then join farmer Adam to harvest seasonal vegetables at a local farm. The tour culminates with a garden-inspired picnic lunch in the guest’s private deck.
• Egg Collecting: Meet with breakfast Chef Trevor to tour Farmhouse Inn’s chicken coops and collect fresh farm eggs before a complimentary three-course breakfast.
In addition, the Spa at Farmhouse Inn will open in September. In partnership with Francis & Alexander, the new spa is a natural extension of the Sonoma farm-inspired experience and menu of spa services incorporates spring forest honey and heirloom cider apples from the owners ranch along with herbs grown right in Farmhouse’s kitchen garden.
Farmhouse Inn’s signature treatments and offerings include:
• Apothecary Cart: Guests are invited to choose their own oils, body serums, lotions and balms at the spa’s interactive Apothecary Bar to personalize their spa treatment. Using rare and exotic ingredients picked from the spa herb garden, the apothecary cart offers edible fresh fruit jam scrubs, herb-infused soaps and natural bath salts.
• A Roll in the Hay couples massage: Start with a couples mocha scrub to wake up each other’s senses and smooth the skin. Then, after an outdoor rinse, snuggle up next to each other and a large body pillow filled with aromatic herbs and alfalfa hay will be rolled over the couple. The spa’s Master of Elixirs will create an aphrodisiac blend with a side of fresh fruit that will be served while resting under the compress and once the bodies have melted, guest can enjoy dual massages using the Lover’s Lotion blend.
• Catherine’s Favorite: This head-to-toe experience is a favorite at some of the most prestigious spas in the world and one of the owner’s favorites. The Farmhouse Massage is enhanced with an intense lavender and orange hair and scalp treatment and while the hair soaks up all the nutrients, an aromatic foot scrub and hot towel foot wrap relaxes the entire being.