Today is September 22nd. It might not seem like anything special right now, but it is. On this date, 20 years ago, NBC premiered a little show called ‘Friends’. This was the day television viewers were introduced to six friends: Monica (Courteney Cox), Ross (David Schwimmer), Joey (Matt LeBlanc), Phoebe (Lisa Kudrow), Chandler (Matthew Perry), and Rachel (Jennifer Aniston) living in New York. Who know 20 years ago the lasting power this series would have on people. Even today the jokes are still funny and the events that happen in each episode are still relatable.
To celebrate the 20th anniversary, here is a look at the top six things we’ve learned while watching ‘Friends’.
1. There are 7 Erogenous Zones
2. A break is not a breakup (sorry guys!)
3. Everyone has a lobster
4. Y-O-U apostrophe R-E is YOU ARE, Y-O-U-R is YOUR
5. It’s not that common, it doesn’t happen to every guy, and it is a big deal
6. Chandler is an executive specializing in statistical analysis and data reconfiguration
In honor of the series’ anniversary, New York put up a pop up Central Perk where you can check out the orange sofa and enjoy a nice cup of coffee. If I lived in New York, I’d be there everyday!
Buzzfeed shared the 21 things that you probably didn’t know about ‘Friends,’ according to James Michael Tyler, who played our favorite barista, Gunther.
1. He was a real-life barista when he landed the role of Gunther. The show did that to make it look authentic. It wasn’t until season four when he quit his day job at the coffee place.
2. Marcel was played by a female monkey.
3. While Gunther never actually made coffee on set or served coffee on the set because the coffee maker was too loud.
4. It was an “unspoken rule” that no one but the cast was allowed to sit on the orange couch.
5. Tyler and Aniston cried shooting their final scene together.
For more ‘Friends’ secrets, check out another fun Buzzfeed post!
During the 10 seasons there have been more hilarious scenes to count. So many that we all like to quote and use them any chance we can. Even though the cast was hilarious together, David Schwimmer had some amazing comedic timing and some of my favorite scenes, and moments were Ross related. Here are just a few of my favorite ‘Friends’ moments:
1. UNAGI – [Watch the scene]
2. PIVOT!- [Watch the scene]
3. Actually, It’s Miss Chanandler Bong- [Watch the scene]
4. Look at me, I’m Chandler, could I BE wearing anymore clothes?!- [Watch the scene]
5. You’re is YOU ARE, your is YOUR!- [Watch the scene]
6. Ross’s speech about L-O-V-E – [Watch the scene]
When the show first premiered I was just 11 years old and didn’t get half of the jokes. But ‘Friends’ was a show that even back then and now watching it for probably the fifth of sixth time I still laugh out loud. I always get bummed when a show is canceled or ends, but this was the only series that I was genuinely upset to see go.
What is your favorite ‘Friends’ moment?