On Saturday, September 27 from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., Hop City Birmingham (2924 Third Ave. South) will hold a massive 2nd Anniversary Celebration featuring over 80 new and/or hard-to-find craft beers on draft.
It is difficult to believe that it has already been two years since Hop City first opened its doors and completely reinvented the way that we shop for craft beer in Birmingham. If you have somehow not given them a visit yet, the Hop City experience provides you with an insane amount of draft options for growler fills and sampling, the opportunity to enjoy a beer or two while shopping their seemingly endless selection of bottled and canned offerings, and a knowledgeable staff to give you recommendations on new beers or help you with your next homebrew project. After countless beers and events over the last two years, the folks at Hop City are pulling out all the stops to thank the Birmingham craft beer community for their support with a massive 2nd Anniversary Celebration. How massive? We are talking about 66 seasonal, new, rare and/or one-off draft beers inside at the bar and another 15 taps of amazing offerings from local breweries outside on the Growlertown Beer Truck. The tap list is slowly being released on Hop City’s Facebook page and here is what they have revealed so far:
- Avery Brewing Co. Hog Heaven Dry-Hopped Barleywine Style Ale (2010 vintage)
- Back Forty Beer Co. Fuzzy Belly
- Beer Engineers Peanut Butter Porter
- Bell’s Brewery Bell’s Wedding Ale
- Blue Pants Brewery Rauchbier
- Boulevard Brewing Co. Saison-Brett
- Brasserie de Cazeau Saison Cazeau
- Brouwerij Verhaeghe Barbe Ruby
- Druid City Brewing Company Watermelon Wheat
- Fairhope Brewing Company Bitter Heat
- Great Divide Brewing Co. Grand Cru (2011 vintage)
- Green Flash Brewing Co./Cigar City Brewing Candela Rye Barleywine
- Heavy Seas Beer The Great’ER Pumpkin
- Local Option Mourning Wood Oak Aged Coffee Amber Ale and Sweet Leif Bière de Garde
- Monday Night Brewing Gun Show Belgian-style Golden Ale
- Off Color Brewing Fierce Berliner Style Weisse
- Oskar Blues Brewery REEB Rye’d
- Rogue Ales XS Double Dead Guy
- Samuel Adams Thirteenth Hour Belgian-style Stout
- Straight to Ale Bourbon Barrel-aged Double Oatmeal Stout
- Stone Brewing Co. 18th Anniversary IPA, Reason Be Damned Belgian Style Abbey Ale aged in Red Wine Barrels, and Xocoveza Mocha Stout
- Terrapin Beer Company Imperial Pumpkin Pie Porter
- Yellowhammer Brewing Barrel-aged Frankenhammer
This is by no means a complete list (I will continue to update as more info is released), but it should give a good idea of the level of quality you can expect at this event. These beers will only be available for full pours and samples during the event.
It may be difficult to pull yourself away from that ridiculous draft list, but this event will include more than just beer. To keep all of you fed, local eateries Cantina, Saw’s Street Kitchen and Steel City Pops will be on-site to serve up tasty grub and treats during the event. Birmingham Mountain Radio will also be in attendance to do a live broadcast from the party. Finally, there will be a silent auction of top tier brewery schwag and other products/services to benefit the Coosa Riverkeeper. Examples of these auction items include a custom fire pit from Samuel Adams, a mini-fridge from Magic Hat Brewing Company, a custom metal sign from Blue Pants Brewery, schwag baskets from Trim Tab Brewing and Yellowhammer Brewing, limited wines, three hours of architectural consultation from Blackmon Rogers Architects, and more.
This event has no cover and all you have to do is pay for whatever beer or food you order. To ensure that you get to try all of the beers you are after, make sure to get to Hop City early on Saturday, stay late, and arrange for a safe ride home. It is going to be a great time and I look forward to seeing you all there! Prost!