This recipe will teach you how to cook your fried pickles so they come out tasting just like the restaurants where they take less than thirty minutes to make. What a great party appetizer, a recipe you can count on whatever the occasion.
Use your favorite pickles from the store or if you love to cook as much as I do, make your own pickles first. This recipe uses a buttermilk batter that gives these fried pickles such a crunch on the outside that bursts open into the tastiest fried pickle I have ever had.
Typically served with a horseradish or spicy ranch sauce these pickles taste great dipped or just as they are, you be the judge.
This recipe is as close as you can get to the restaurant’s version, give it a try and see for yourself.
- 1 (16-Oz) jar dill pickle slices (or use your own as previously mentioned)
- 1 cup buttermilk (I use Knudsen’s)
- 1 egg
- 4-6 dashed hot sauce (I use Sriracha )
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Preheat about 2 inches of oil in a large pot (about 8 quarts) to 350 degrees. While it is heating, prepare an area with paper towels where you will be draining the pickles once they are done frying.
- In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, egg and hot sauce. Beat with a fork to combine. Drain the pickle juice from the jar, add the pickles to the buttermilk mixture. Stir to make sure they get coated evenly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, paprika, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
- Add about a handful of the pickles that are coated with the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture. Gently move them around making sure they get evenly coated with the flour mixture. Shake off any excess flour and drop the pickles, one by one into the hot oil.
- Only put about 8 pickles in at a time, so that the temperature of the oil does not cool down too much and they will not get the proper crunch to them.
- Fry the pickles for about 3-5 minutes until they reach a golden brown color. Remove them from the oil and set them on the paper towels that you have prepared for them.
Note: As you start coating your pickles, the flour mixture will get some clumps in it, periodically remove the lumps so that you have a smooth mixture to coat your pickles.
There are so many great recipes that you can make at home and it really is not that hard and think of the money you save! Pickling you own pickles may sound like a big project, but it really isn’t that hard and if you really want to make this your own dish, make your own homemade pickles the week or so before and then use them in this recipe. All you really need is some of the larger mason jars which you can get at most grocery stores, some pickling cucumbers, vinegar and pickling spices. I do hope that you will give this recipe a try and have some fun with it!
From my kitchen to yours… . That’s what’s cooking!