Fall is the time of year to for all to celebrate the changing colors on the trees, leaves falling, evergreens and the soon to be holiday merriment. This is also the perfect time of year to bring the beautiful colors and textures of fall and winter into the decor. Wreaths not only bring dimension into the decor they can dress up a room with a breath of freshness.
Wreaths are the perfect furnishings to change out with each season.
Greek customs dictate the hanging of a wreath of fresh flowers on doors to celebrate special occasions. We now see beautiful, unique, artistic and decorative wreaths on many doors beyond just for the holidays. Wreaths have also become welcome decor to accessorize a room with.
- Dress up doors beyond the front entry; each bedroom door can be decorated with a wreath that is personal to the person who resides beyond the door.
- A wreath on the dining room table makes a beautiful centerpiece; add a candle or colorful fruit in the center.
- Wreaths can be hung on a wall in an interesting grouping as art.
- Over the fireplace is the perfect place to showcase a large decorative wreath.
Make a cozy fun project building a do-it-yourself wreath.
By making your own wreaths one can pick the size, colors, materials to adorn the beautiful new decor. The added benefits of a DIY wreath project is having fun and saving money by making your own lovely wreath of beauty.
What is needed to begin a fun wreath making project.
With drycleaner wire hangers found in just about any home and a visit to the local craft store one will easily have all needed to create a wreath.
- A couple of wire coat hangers.
- Green floral tape.
- Light weight spool wire.
- Materials to form the actual wreath; branches, leaves, acorns, pine boughs, ivy, eucalyptus sprays, box hedge stems, holly, and ferns are just a few kinds of fresh greenery. Be creative using the beautiful fall leaves, sunflowers, lavender, eucalyptus, corn husks and wheat.
- Hot glue sticks and a gun for extra adornments.
If you would rather not use wire hangers try weaving your own grapevine wreath using branches or purchase premade grass, raffia, or vines rings from craft stores.
Time to begin making the beautiful decorative wreath.
In three easy steps one can easily craft a beautiful wreath ready to add to a beautiful decor.
- Make a base using two wire coat hangers.
- Wire the hangers together in a circle, keeping the hanger hooks at the top
- Cover over the ugly hangers and keep the shape by wrapping them with the floral tape.
- Cut several branches or greenery into 8″ to 10″ long pieces.
- Use the lightweight spool wire to wrap around and secure branches or greenery to the wreath base.
- Work down one side overlapping them so the stem ends are hidden. Keep adding branches until the wreath base is fully covered.
Have fun making dressing up the wreaths with extra adornments.
Make hot glue your new best friend, sparking the creative side by adding flourishes to dress up your newly made wreaths. Embellish a wreath to spice it up for seasonal joy.
- Acorns and pine cones can be found in the park for free. Gather them up use them to add a bit of nature to the wreath. Paint them in silver or gold to add an elegant touch.
- Dried flowers and berries will add new dimension and color.
- Ribbons can be used to make added bows or woven into the wreaths branches. Tie a simple ribbon around the wreath to use as a hanger.
- Shells found at the beach can add a breath of fresh air.
- Feathers can add a new interest and flare.
Perhaps you are looking for a total natural look or a simplified understated wreath.
Weave your own grapevine wreath using long grass.
- Gather a bundle of long grass.
- Bind the grass into your wreath circle with twine or floral wire. If the grass is too dry to shape into a circle wet it down before shaping it.
- Cut the stems of the accents you are using, like berries or flowers, to about three inches. Then place them onto the garland securing with wire.
Welcome into the decor the beauty of nature. A wreath brings inside a taste of the outdoors and adds an updated seasonal new touch to liven up the abode’s furnishings. Enjoy the fun of creating masterpieces to display and decorate with.
A wreath adorning the front door will be a welcome reminder that you are home. Never be afraid to dance!
Subscribe and enjoy reading all of my articles under the titles of Interior Decorating, Long Island Interior Design, Decorating, Arts & Exhibits, Lifestyle, as well as General Pets, Fashion Trends, and Long Island Prepper written for yeahstub.com.