The viral story of a little girl who was disfigured by dogs and turned away from a Kentucky Fried Chicken establishment looks as if it may have been a complete and total hoax. The Washington Post reported on June 24, 2014, that an investigator has come forth now with discrepancies in the story of three-year-old Victoria Wilcher that prove the story could be false.
It was a story that touched the hearts of millions and even opened the pockets of Kentucky Fried Chicken.
The young girl was allegedly asked back on May 15, 2014, to leave a KFC restaurant in Jackson, Mississippi, because of her facial scars which were said to come from a pit bull attack. It was reported that employees said her scars were disturbing and frightening the other customers.
Since then, the girl’s family has received over $135,000 in donations of money and gifts. KFC had offered to pay for any medical bills and surgeons even offered up services of surgeries for free.
Now, the Laurel-Call Leader has an anonymous source that has found a number of issues in the story of the girl’s grandmother that just don’t add up.
The family’s story states that the vicious pit bull attack left the girl’s face half paralyzed and caused her to lose her right eye. The story continued on to say the child and her grandmother went into a KFC restaurant that turned them away.
Well, the original story detailed a KFC location that had been closed and out of operation for years.
Teri Rials Bates, Wilcher’s aunt who runs the Facebook page for the little girl, later said it happened at another location. Her story said it happened at KFC location near the hospital where Wilcher received treatment for her injuries.
Security camera footage from the KFC locations near the hospital show no footage of anyone matching the girl or the grandmother’s description entering the store on May 15, 2014.
There are also no receipt records of orders taken that included both a sweet tea and mashed potatoes on that day. There are no records that the combination was part of a larger order on that day either. That was the order that the grandmother claimed to put in for the child.
Bill Kellum, the lawyer for the family issued a statement saying the family will not accept a $30,000 donation from KFC, but would not comment further. The family did post a message on their Facebook on Monady regarding the possibility of it all being a hoax.
I promise its not a hoax, I never thought any of this would blow up the way it has. The article circling the web calling this a hoax is untrue. The article it self say the investigation is not complete. It is not over until KFC releases a statement. The media outlet running this story is not connected with KFC. The family has not asked for anything, a attorney is handling all the media publicity for the family pro bono. Please do not believe untrue media. I have personally watched this family go without to provide for Victoria. They have not and would not do anything to hurt Victoria in any way.
KFC has hired a third-party consultant to act as an investigator into the story and look into the allegations. Those higher-up in KFC said they would still pay the $30,000 toward Wiclher’s medical bills despite what the investigation may find.