A kitty litter cake may look totally disgusting, but it is 100% edible and will be the talk of any party or get-together. In this article you’ll find the kitty litter cake recipe for under $6.
This gross cake looks absolutely repulsive, and is not for the faint of heart. Oddly enough kids get a big kick out of this gross Halloween cake. It looks just like a real cat box filled with poop. Yes, poop! If you can get up the nerve to taste it, you’ll be surprised at how delicious it is.
Because there’s no fancy frosting or decorations needed to make this budget recipe, the entire cake will cost under $ 6 to make. In fact, you can all the ingredients you need at your local dollar store.
The ingredients needed to make a kitty litter cake include:
- New litter box (washed)
- New litter box scooper (washed)
- Box of yellow cake mix
- Small package of vanilla/chocolate combination sandwich cookies
- Large box of instant vanilla pudding
- 12 small Tootsie Rolls
- Green food coloring
How to make a kitty litter cake:
- Make pudding according to package directions and place it in the refrigerator until chilled.
- Bake the cake mix according to package directions. Allow to cool completely.
- In a food processor, crush the cookies until they are crumbled. Add a few drops of green food coloring at set aside. (If you don’t add the food coloring, your kitty litter cake won’t look authentic, and will just resemble crushed cookies)
- When the cake is cooled, crumble it into a large bowl. Add in about half of the cookie mixture and enough pudding to moisten the cake.
- Pour the crumbled cake mixture into the litter box.
- The final step to making this gross Halloween cake is to add the poop. Unwrap Tootsie Rolls and begin flattening and shaping until they resemble cat poop. If the Tootsie Rolls are too stiff to bend, heat them in the microwave for a few seconds until they soften.
- Toss the shaped Tootsie Rolls into the kitty litter cake. Don’t just lay them on the top! Hide some of them in the cake itself, and coat them with the mixture so that they look like they are covered in litter.
- Pour the remaining cookie crumbs on top of the kitty litter cake. You may want to add a few more drops of green food coloring in a few places to make it look extra gross.
- When you are finished, place a kitty litter scooper into the cake for serving purposes.
NOTE – There are several variations to the kitty litter cake recipe. Some people prefer to use a spice cake to a yellow cake, and some like to combine a chocolate and a white cake together. It’s all a matter of personal preference. Regardless, when you bring a kitty litter cake to the table, it’s guaranteed to shock guests and go down in history as a gross Halloween cake everyone will remember.
Subscribe to the Columbus Frugal Living Examiner.