If there is one beverage (besides water) that is truly considered one of summertime’s best treats, it would be lemonade. With only three ingredients, this thirst quencher is as simple as it is refreshing. But what other uses are there for this tart little fruit?
Beyond the deliciousness of lemonade, there are also some great health benefits to this citrus fruit.
According to beliefnet.com, here are five ways lemons can be beneficial to our health (others might have called these old wive’s tales):
- Canker sores- The antibacterial and antiviral properties can speed up the healing of cankers
- Cold/Flu- Lemon juice warmed and mixed with honey has been a cold/flu elixir for generations
- Bad breath- Mix the juice of a lemon with a cup of lukewarm water and rinse in your mouth
- High blood pressure- Garlic and onions have been shown to be effective in the fight against hypertension, and they combine well with the healing power of lemon. Add 3 crushed garlic cloves and 1 chopped onion to 1 quart or cold skimmed or low fat milk or soy milk. Slowly bring to the boil and let it stand for 5 minutes. Pour through a sieve and chill. Add the freshly squeezed juice of 3 lemons and sip throughout the day
- Insect repellent- Add 20 drops of lemon oil to 1 cup (250ml) of water and spray into the air. It smells great and repels insects at the same time
The very best way to use lemons though, is to make some good old fashion lemonade like grandma used to make. Below is a tried and true lemonade recipe that many people call their own secret recipe and make many times through the summer.
Old fashion lemonade recipe
1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup sugar
5 cups water
In a large pitcher, combine the lemon juice and sugar. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the water. Serve over crushed ice.
This perfect summer drink doesn’t get much easier than that folks. Are you looking for a tasty sugar free lemonade? Switch out the sugar for sucralose equally. If using other artificial sweeteners, add according to your preference.
Make some lemonade this summer for your kids, grand kids or someone who has been working hard outside all day. It’s a refreshing beverage that will quench the thirst of anyone who drinks it. Be sure to give one of the lemon old wive’s tales a try!
Thanks for reading Raleigh Food! Click here to subscribe to this column and you’ll get an email each time a new article is published.
Do you ever wish you had the chance to write articles about things that interest you? Look into Examiner! It’s a great way to make some extra money and it’s a lot of fun. Follow this link and see if it’s right for you!