Moxie Kitchen + Cocktails has generated a great deal of interest in the Jacksonville fine dining community in recent date. Chef Tom Gray (of Bistro Aix fame) opened the restaurant in 2013 and it has been serving the Jacksonville community since then. Moxie Kitchen + Cocktails takes a decided turn away from Bistro Aix in terms of ambiance and food. The fare at Moxie focuses on casual, comfort food, like Chef Gray’s interpretation of Corn Nuts, Cheddar Cheese Curds, and Chicken-n-Waffles. Chef Gray even incorporates ingredients like Dr. Pepper into the Short Ribs! In other words, do not expect the same low-lit, fancy dining experience offered at Bistro Aix. In terms of decor, the restaurant has an urban, modern feel. Moxie is also very large, encompassing more than 7,000 square feet and has two stories.
We are excited to let our readers know that Moxie Kitchen + Cocktails will be hosting the Bodega Trivento Winemaker Dinner on Monday, November 3. We have always had a strong interest in wine and Jacksonville Fine Dining Examiner recently completed the Introductory Sommelier Course through the Court of Master Sommeliers. Naturally, any wine event in the Jacksonville area sparks our interest, especially if it takes place at a noteworthy Jax restaurant.
Bodega Trivento is located on the eastern foothills of the Andes Mountains in Mendoza Argentina. The winery derives its name from the three winds that blow across the region: Polar, Zonda, and Sudestada. Bodega Trivento produces Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Chardonnay, Torrontes, and a Cabernet/Malbec blend.
The winemaker event will take place on Monday, November 3 at 6:30pm. Cost is $69 per person, including tax and gratuity. The meal will be served family-style at a communal table, like at a true vineyard tasting. Winemaker Victoria Prandina and Brand Ambassador Robert Catalani will join the party and provide insights on the wines. The meal includes the following:
- Deviled Farm Eggs (fresh crab, candied lemon, tomato-onion jam) paired with Trivento Amado Sur Chardonnay
- Mocetta, dry-rubbed, Italian-style dried beef and seared octopus salad paired with Trivento Amado Sur Torrontes
- Fish Out of Water (apple-yukon puree, roasted/smoked mushrooms, fall greens paired with Trivento Amado Sur Malbec
- Short Rib (Dr. Pepper glaze, shaved vegetables, sweet herbs, buttermilk mashed potatoes paired with Trivento Golden Reserve Malbec
- Accompanied by brussels sprouts (olive groutons) and fall greens (ham hocks)
- Chocolate Truffle Torte (Grand Marnier, candied clementines, espresso-chip ice cream paired with Trivento Eolo Malbec)
For tickets, go to this link.
A little more information about Moxie Kitchen + Cocktails: It opened in November 2013 by Chef Tom Gray, who wanted to incorporate elements from his southern upbringing into the restaurant (Chef Gray has been nominated for two James Beard Awards). The menu features local beers, unique cocktails and the sources many of its ingredients form local producers in the Jacksonville area. The decor features interesting elements like reclaimed spruce wood from that were held in the Penebscott River in Maine since the mid-1800s.
For more from Jacksonville Fine Dining Examiner, follow us on Twitter @JaxFineDining