The month of July has a plethora of delicious food and beverage holidays. From National Tequila Day, National Daiquiri Day, National Pina Colada Day and National Scotch Day to National Hamburger Day, National Hot Dog Day, National Ice Cream Day, National Lasagna Day and National Cheesecake Day, the dog days of summer include plenty of great eats and treats. July 25 celebrates a delightful combination of food and drink. It’s National Wine and Cheese Day, an annual holiday created by freelance writer and wine-lover, Jace Shoemaker-Galloway.
Sometimes unlikely duos become great big hits. Like peanut butter and jelly, chocolate and peanut butter, salt and vinegar chips, bacon and maple syrup and French fries covered in gravy (Poutine), wine and cheese are delightful combinations. When the right wine is paired with the perfect cheese, the taste and aromas of each are magnified and enhanced, awakening the senses. The possibilities for the perfect wine and cheese pairings are as endless as one’s imagination.
Wine and Cheese Pairing Tips
- Combining wine and cheese from the same region is a “safe place to start” according to Wine About Guide, Stacy Slinkard.
- Mild cheeses work well with lighter wines while the more pungent cheese works well with robust wines. Just make sure they don’t overpower one another.
- According to Meg Houston Maker, combine wine and cheese based on flavor intensity. Young cheeses work best with sparkling wines, dry roses, crisp whites and some reds. Rich and nutty cheeses work best with ample-bodied wines. Sweet wines work well with salty cheeses like Feta, Blue and aged Gouda.
While the sky is the limit when it comes to tasty pairings, here are a few pairing suggestions to get you started.
Wine and Cheese Pairings
- Cabernet Sauvignon – Brie, Chevre, Cheddar
- Champagne – Asiago, Brie, Camembert, Cheddar, Edam, Gouda, Feta, Gruyere
- Chianti – Provolone, Mozzarella, Fontina or Parmesan
- Chardonnay – Brie, Gouda, Gruyere, Parmesan, Provolone
- Merlot – Brie, Camembert, Cheddar, Chevre, Smoked Gouda
- Moscato –Brie, Chevre, Feta, Mozzarella, Ricotta
- Merlot – Brie, Cheddar, Gouda, Gruyere, Jarlsberg
- Pinot Blanc – Brie, Feta, Camembert
- Pinor Noir – Brie, Colby, Feta, Swiss, Muenster, Gouda
- Port – Asiago, Blue, Cheddar, Gorgonzola, Gruyere, Roquefort
- Riesling – Brie, Blue, Colby, Edam, Gouda
- Sauvignon Blanc – Brie, Camembert, Feta, Gruyere, Mozzarella
- Shiraz – Chevre, Cheddar, Gouda
- Zinfandel – Asiago, Feta, Gouda, Pecorino Romano
In honor of National Wine and Cheese Day, why not have a wine and cheese tasting party and create your own winning combination? It’s time to drink wine (and eat cheese!)
About.com. Pairing Wine and Cheese
Serious Eats. Cheese and Wine Pairing Cheat Sheet
Fred Meyer. Wine and Cheese Pairings
Wine Magazine. Wine and Cheese
Wine Inquirer. Wine and Cheese Pairings