Maureen Nickels, organizational specialist for the Nebraska State Education Association for 14 years and former teacher in Grand Island Public Schools for 26 years, is running unopposed for the District 6 seat on the Nebraska State Board of Education.
The Nebraska State Board of Education is charged with 24 duties. The first duty is to “Be the policy-forming, planning and evaluative body for the state school program” There are 23 duties following that whopper. (link) This board makes the decisions for Nebraska children’s education- our future.
My previous columns examined:
- Union power at the legislative drafting table. When the union makes known its outcome preferences, union interest carries the room, the vote and the legislation. (link)
- The majority of the Lincoln Public Schools board, Nebraska State Board of Education and Legislative Education Committee accepted teacher union campaign contributions. (link)
- 2014 Princeton/Northwestern study: the United States is a (public) union/oligarchy not democracy. (link)
- Obama’s immediate move against Washington DC school vouchers for poor children. (link)
- DeBlasio’s vote on behalf of the international union while a member of the New York city council and subsequent immediate intervention to impede charter schools for poor children as New York Mayor. (link) (link)
- The Education Cartel (link)
- The impact of teacher’s unions on schools. (link)
In a “Right-to-work” state why should we be concerned?
Most importantly, public unions control individual liberty directly. (link) The IRS, health workers, VA, credentialing, permitting, legal system, etc.
Even though businesses may not be unionized, the international union connects all. Union, non-union workers and illegal immigrants with the “right disposition” may be rewarded for enforcement of the union position. The union prefers no credit, never leaves a calling card, is well-organized and well-funded. Union expertise perfected to: isolate, demonize, intimidate and harass its opponents, is without equal. The terms “union” and “mob” are at times used interchangeably.
Virtually all industries can be union enforcers. Examples might include: heating/AC, electricians, food service workers, computer technicians, grocery workers, auto repair shops, locksmiths, you get the picture. To disagree with the union is tantamount to opposing La Cosa Nostra or the CIA. Fear of retaliation might be the reason Maureen Nickels is unopposed in this race.
I believe the majority of public and private personnel are dedicated, honest, caring employees. Unfortunately, it takes few bullies to send a powerful message demanding compliance. They don’t even have to speak, their mere presence controls behavior and votes.
If the choice is between possible retaliation and student learning outcomes, people tend to go along with the bullies. Little kids and their politically-unconnected parents are pretty powerless. Union staff on the State Board of Education will control the vote. The union exists to protect jobs, wages, working conditions and pensions. Often, those priorities are in direct conflict with children’s learning needs.
I have asked the Nebraska Secretary of State if it is a conflict of interest for NSEA official, Maureen Nickels, to be a candidate for the Nebraska State Board of Education in District 6.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize. Author unknown