The NFL Top 12 rankings represent the number of teams that make the postseason. However, the rankings do not have to reflect an even mix of NFC and AFC teams. This is simply a breakdown of what we think the best teams are at this point.
After two weeks, the NFL has seven undefeated teams left. They are spread throughout every division except for the NFC North, which houses four (1-1) teams. Everybody’s favorite to win the Super Bowl, Seattle Seahawks, already lost a road game, but there isn’t much panic about their setback.
The Cincinnati Bengals just might be the best team in the whole league. They have two good wins, and this could be the year for Cincinnati to jump into elite status. There is a concern over A.J. Green’s toe injury.
The Philadelphia Eagles have had two come from behind victories the first two weeks of the season. Either the Eagles have been lucky, or their offensive philosophy is wearing down opponents to produce positive results in the fourth quarter of games.
The Houston Texans have been the most dominant team in the AFC. They already have a two game lead over the Indianapolis Colts, but there is quite a long season to go. We’ll keep notice on how well the Texans finish out the month.
Here are the NFL rankings.
1. Cincinnati Bengals (2-0): The Bengals have been a destructive defensive force thus far. They totally dominated Atlanta without A.J. Green and they look like the best team in the NFL so far. Cincinnati has only given up 26 points this season. Next game vs. Tennessee
2. Denver Broncos (2-0): The Broncos haven’t been the same juggernaut on offense this season, but they’ve started well enough to have an AFC West lead. Denver has a lot of redemption on their mind this week. Next game vs. Seattle.
3. Carolina Panthers (2-0): The Panthers have held opponents to 21 points in two games. So far, the defense has been crushing opponents. It’s especially impressive because they held Detroit to seven points. Next game vs. Pittsburgh.
4. Houston Texans (2-0): The Texans were in this exact same position last year. However, there’s a different feeling with the 2014 Texans. Houston has allowed the fewest amount of points this season, and J.J. Watt has even caught a touchdown pass. Next game vs. New York Giants
5. Philadelphia Eagles (2-0): The Eagles wore down another opponent, and it’s becoming commonplace. They had some luck in this come from behind victory, but their offense has been explosive in the second halves. Philadelphia needs to work on red zone offense. Next game vs. Washington.
6. Arizona Cardinals (2-0): The Cardinals lead the NFC West early, and have the best scoring defense in the division. Won a game without starting quarterback Carson Palmer. They’ll need a big effort next week. Next game vs. San Francisco.
7. Seattle Seahawks (1-1): The Seahawks are the highest rated one loss team. They might be too low now, but they had a chance to put another stamp on the league last Sunday. This week, they have another battle. Next game vs. Denver.
8. Buffalo Bills (2-0): The Bills have beaten Chicago and Miami to open the season as the AFC East leader. E.J. Manuel has been on point this season. Buffalo has a big test coming up. Next game vs. San Diego.
9. Chicago Bears (1-1): The Bears were ridiculed for losing the home opener, but they came back strong to stun the San Francisco 49ers. Chicago showed toughness in a game they had no business winning. Next game vs. New York Jets.
10. San Francisco 49ers (1-1): For the second week in a row, the 49ers have gotten off to fast starts, but their second half offensive production has been non existent. That will have to change in a hurry. Next game vs. Arizona.
11. New England Patriots (1-1): New England has been average at best on offense. Still they put up 30 points to beat Minnesota after and opening season loss to Miami. They should have an easy win before the schedule gets a little tougher. Next game vs. Oakland.
12. San Diego Chargers (1-1): The Chargers are 4th quarter collapse away from being undefeated. They also beat the Super Bowl champions, so it’s not all bad. In fact, it’s mostly good for San Diego. Next game vs. Buffalo.