Are you dedicated to your diet….except when it comes to sweet treats? Summer desserts such as a Baskin Robbins Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Shake at 1,600 calories, Smoothie King Peanut Power Plus at 1,460 calories, and Dunkin’ Donuts Frozen Coffee with Cream at 860 calories can lure you from your winning weight loss plan.
The challenge for finding smart swaps: many diet desserts have only one virtue – low calories or low carbohydrates. And that benefit can’t compensate for bland flavor or a nasty aftertaste.
I’ve suffered through the worst – and enjoyed the best – to discover the most delicious diet desserts for slimming in summer, including some Do It Yourself (DIY) options:
- Arctic Zero: Just 150 calories for the whole pint, with fiber and protein, this creamy cool sweet treat can turn even the worst day into a reason to be happy. Read my review by clicking here.
- Weight Watchers ice cream: If you’re craving a fattening coffee cooler, satisfy that craving with a smooth, creamy enormous Latte bar. With only 1 gram of fat and 90 calories, this ice cream bar qualifies for the winner’s circle!
- DIY: Put ice cubes, strong coffee, non-fat milk, a packet of sugar-free cocoa mix, and a few packets of artificial sweetener in a blender. Whip until smooth, adjusting the amount of ingredients until it becomes a blissful beverage!
- Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom ice cream bars: Do you always feel as if diet desserts don’t fill you up? Meet the solution with Sweet Freedom ice cream. These flavors of sugar-free ice cream contain fiber, which some experts call the “zero calorie food” because of its ability to fill you up, not out, plus satisfying protein power.
- DIY: Make a quick sugar-free version of chocolate frozen yogurt blending sugar-free cocoa mix with plain Greek yogurt. Freeze until the consistency of soft frozen yogurt.
- Skinny Cow individually portioned bars: The trick about individually wrapped ice cream bars is that you don’t get trapped into the “I don’t need to measure it; it’s diet” pitfall for dieters. Skinny Cow bars have about 100 calories and come in fabulous flavors such as caramel truffle, chocolate truffle, and white mint truffle.
- DIY: Make mini chocolate-coated banana treats by slicing up a peeled banana. Roll in sugar-free chocolate syrup, then freeze on a piece of foil in the freezer.
- Dairy-free options: If you have a milk allergy or are lactose intolerant, you know that most dairy-free ice creams are off limits for dieters. They’re usually high in sugar and fat. But sugar-free Tofutti bars come in rich chocolate and creamy coffee flavors and are just 30 calories each.
- Cuckoo for coconut? Try the So Delicious No Sugar Added Vanilla Bean coconut ice cream for a 100 calorie delight!