Who hasn’t dreamed of calling his boss a four-letter word … other than boss? Who hasn’t fantasized about telling his employer or supervisor to “go [blank] himself”?
Thanks to a ruling by the National Labor Relations Board under the Obama administration, this dream just become a reality. The Washington Examiner reports that the NLRB ruled that in two recent cases, workers dismissed for using profanity on the job were unjustly fired.
In the first case, “Plaza Auto Center, Inc. and Nick Aguirre,” the NLRB ruled on May 28th that a Yuma, Ariz., car dealership owner was wrong in 2008 to fire a worker who had called him an “a**hole” and “f—ing crook” and similar insults during an office meeting to discuss a wage dispute. The NLRB said that owner had instigated the incident by telling the employee that if he didn’t like the pay, he could work elsewhere. That was an “implied threat” of firing, according to the board.
In the second case, the board found that Starbucks was out of line in its termination of an employee who not only used profanity but got into an altercation with a manager in front of customers.
Big Business has expressed alarm at the NLRB’s stance. In a posting on its website Friday, the Chamber of Commerce wrote that the board was “flat-out undermining the ability of employers to exercise even the most basic principles of running a business.”
Not to mention the horrendous message this decision sends to society at large — and especially young children — about accepting responsibility and showing respect for authority.
- UAW abruptly drops NLRB appeal in Tennessee VW plant case
- NLRB wants to imprison businesses in hostile states
- Breakthrough: NLRB rules Northwestern football players can unionize
- Obama NLRB appointments declared unconstitutional by another appeals court
- Appeals court rules Obama’s NLRB recess appointments unconstitutional
- Union bullies target upstart, low-cost airline
- Media Matters digs in to stop union from organizing its workers
- Chicago Teachers Union to Rahm Emanuel: Improving failed schools full of black kids is racist
For more articles and headlines, be sure to check out Liberty Unyielding. Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook.