Whether you’re looking for a portable external drive to transport large files or looking for a reliable desktop drive, the Mercury On-The-Go Pro from Other World Computing has been receiving rave reviews from the likes of Macworld, Mac Life and PC Magazine.
But the latest iteration, the OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro 1.0TB portable external drive ($169) is the fastest one yet, powered by a Thunderbolt interface and with a max data transfer rate of 10GB/s. Equipped with a 1.0TB, 2.5” Western Digital HDD with a SATA 6GB/s interface and rotational speed of 5400 RPM, the pocket sized drive protected by a stylish yet durable, clear acrylic case, measures just 2.75 inches wide and 3.94 inches long. Additionally, the drive has a fanless design, “built-in aluminum heatsinks and air vents” to cool the unit and comes with a certified Thunderbolt cable and very convenient carry case.
Also included with the OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro 1.0TB, is an OWC software package containing several useful apps, particularly Intech HD’s SpeedTools 3 and Pro Sofot’s Data Backup. Much like Apple’s Disk Utility, SpeedTools 3 features a verify and repair function but also has QuickBench 4.07, a solid benchmark app to runs tests on the external drive and other hard drives. ProSoft Data Backup is another valuable utility app that allows the user to easily and quickly backup, restore and synchronize important data, such as documents, music files and photos. Combined, these two pieces of software retail for more than $100 but are included at no extra charge with the purchase of the On-The-Go-Pro. Lastly, there’s the OWC software collection, with a number of freeware and share apps for audio and video, games, additional utilities and more.
Initial setup of the On-The-Go Pro was incredibly easy and for many users, will not require using the included manual. All that needs to be done is to attach one end of the Thunderbolt cable to the back of the external drive and the other to your computer. Within moments, the OWC HD icon will appear on the screen. Once inside you’ll find the OWC Drive Guide formatting utility to format the drive, either as a Macintosh Setup or a Windows setup. Within a short time the drive is formatted and is now ready to use.
Through multiple testing and several hours of evaluation, it’s clear the performance of the drive is among the best in its class. It took less than 25 seconds to completely copy a 1GB file onto the drive and the speed to copy 200 GB of files onto the drive took just a matter of minutes. More scrutinized testing of the On-The-Go Pro was performed using Quick Bench 4.07 and after a few hours of examination, continued to reveal impressive statistics (see photo gallery).
The conclusion here for the new OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro 1.0TB portable external drive is much like past reviews of previous models inspected by the likes of Macworld, PC Magazine et al. The performance of this sleek looking external drive is truly outstanding and at just $169 through Other World Computing, is very affordable given the size of the hard drive, additional features, included software and three year warranty. Thus, this latest product among a line of consistently quality products from Other World Computing, receives a solid five stars.
• 1.0TB* Western Digital Scorpio Blue Hard Disk Drive**
*1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes. Total accessible capacity varies depending upon operating environment (typically 5-10% less). The actual total capacity will depend on your own defined file settings/preferences.
**OWC reserves the right to replace or upgrade to equivalent or better components.
• SATA (Serial ATA) Revision 3.0
Drive Cache Size
• 8 Megabyte (8,192k)
Drive Rotation Speed
• Thunderbolt: Supported on Macs meeting minimum requirements.
Max Data Transfer Rate
• Thunderbolt: 10Gb/s
• Included Drive Guide Software will format drive for either OS X, or WindowsDownload instructions on OS X formatting (DOC 8.5MB)Download instructions on Windows formatting (DOC 4.6MB)
• Macintosh: running OS X v10.6.8 or later with an available Thunderbolt port
• PC: running Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.x or later with an available Thunderbolt port (Windows drivers required)
• Bus Power via Thunderbolt
External Case Dimensions
• 3.5″ (W) x 5.5″ (D) x 1″ (H)
• 88.9mm x 139.7mm x 25.4mm
Total Shipping Weight
• 0.75lbs. (0.34kg)
• Intech® Hard Disk SpeedTools Utilities™ OEM (For Mac OS 8.6 – X only)
• ProSoft Engineering® Data Backup for Mac OS X v10.2.8 or later
• NovaStor NovaBACKUP® for Windows 2000 or later
• Over 1.5GB of Freeware, Shareware, Public domain software installed
• On-The-Go Thunderbolt User Guide(586KB PDF)
• (operating) 5°C – 42°C (41°F – 107°F)
• (non-operating) -40°C – 65°C (-40°F – 149°F)
• (operating) 8% – 90% RH (Non-condensing)
• (non-operating) 5% – 95% RH (Non-condensing)
• (operating) 70G 2mS;
• (non-operating) 175G 2mS
• (operating) 1.0G (5 – 300Hz)
• (non-operating) 5.0G (5 – 500Hz)
• More than 300,000 power-on hours
3 Year OWC Solution Limited Warranty