On Thursday, DutchNews.nl reported that the lawyer of a Dutch-Muslim who is being accused of joining ISIS in Syria, wants his ankle bracelet removed. His lawyer, Derk van der Heijden, told reporters that he is giving the prosecutors one more month to come with sufficient evidence proofing that his client is guilty of wanting to join the terrorist organization ISIS. NLTimes.nl reported on Thursday, that the suspect from Huizen, the Netherlands, has been forced to wear the ankle bracelet by prosecutors because they believe that he is a flight risk.
Prosecutors believe that the suspect wanted to travel to Syria with his wife and child. Prosecutors are also claiming that the suspects younger brother has been fighting with ISIS in Syria, for over a year now. The suspects lawyer stated that his client wanted to travel to Syria so that he could bring his brother personal belongings that he left in the Netherlands.
Police official makes racially discriminatory statements
In July, AD.nl reported that people began questioning the stands that the Dutch police have towards Dutch-Muslims due to racially discriminatory statements made by The Hague Police Chief Paul van Musscher. During an interview in 2010, about Moroccans in Gouda, van Musscher made a racially discriminatory statement by stating that most of the Dutch-Moroccans are criminals due to their genes. “Berber comes from the word barbarian. And indeed it is culturally ingrained that they are a bit wilder. Easier on the streets. Rougher. You could say it’s in their genes, ” explained van Musscher during the televised interview. Currently, van Musscher is responsible for handling cases of discrimination and diversifying the Dutch police force.
Dutch Patriot Act in the works
The Netherlands is a country that is governed by rule of law. If a citizen is accused of a crime, they have the right of receiving due process of the law. But, more and more Dutch-Muslims are having their civil rights violated. Earlier this year, four Dutch-Muslims were placed in jail because Dutch officials accused them of wanting to travel to Syria to join ISIS. Both of the couples children were taken from them and placed in protective custody. In September, 3 of the adults were released from custody after a judge determined that they were unlawfully being imprisoned. The judge determined that prosecutors didn’t have sufficient evidence to keep them in jail.
Social workers had determined that the children of the Dutch-Muslim couples were in no immediate danger and that the custody of the children should immediately be reinstate to the parents. Officials had also revoked the passports of all the family members. Lou van Leer, is a lawyer representing one of the families and believes that there is a witch hunt taking place. “It was stated the children have Dutch and Moroccan passports. They only have a Dutch passport. It was also stated the father has a brother in Syria but that is not true either,” said van Leer.