A piping hot bowl of soup on a chilly fall evening is a great supper. There are so many great soup recipes but this one is exceptionally delicious.
In keeping with a true one-pot meal, the rue can be made (just not as easily) in the microwave. In breaking the one-pot rule, splurge and use one additional pot and make the rue on the stovetop. When blended together, it all ends up back in one pot! Let’s call this a one-pot meal.
Real Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup butter or margarine, divided
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup flour
- 9 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- In a large stockpot, sauté garlic in 2 tablespoons butter.
- Add onions, celery and green pepper. Sauté until tender.
- Add mushrooms. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth abd simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a microwave-safe bowl (or ideally a saucepan on the stovetop), melt remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Add in milk. Heat using low setting until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes.
- Add milk mixture to mushroom mixture.
- Stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Break out a loaf of fresh, warm bread and everyone’s appetite will be satisfied.