Cartoon Network’s animated series “Regular Show” shows off the misadventures of park workers Mordecai and Rigby. They’re slackers who enjoy video games, avoiding work, and getting into bizarre situations that escalate into absurd proportions throughout each episode. With Cartoon Network managing to compile several episodes chronicling Mordecai’s character arc about his pursuit of his crush Margaret in the “Regular Show: Mordecai & Margaret Pack” DVD, it would make sense to release a DVD compilation of episodes focusing on Rigby and give it a title like “Regular Show: Rigby Pack.” That’s exactly what Cartoon Network does with the September 9 release of “Regular Show: Rigby Pack” with a suggested retail price of $19.82.
Featuring 16 episodes intended to highlight Rigby’s antics, “Regular Show: Rigby Pack” packs in the slacker comedy of errors and escalation highlighting Rigby’s personality. For half of the episode list of the “Rigby Pack,” Rigby is the star as his immature actions, immature overreactions, and general stupidty is the catalyst that turns a normal situation into its “Regular Show” absurdity. Clever selection of episodes that reference episodes contained in other “Regular Show” DVD compilations ensures that you are rewarded for purchasing those DVDs or the entire season DVD sets.
Then Cartoon Network didn’t research every season of “Regular Show” to find enough Rigby central episodes and filled the rest with random episodes where Rigby is present but isn’t a big factor. They’re funny episodes and some recently aired on Cartoon Network, but a “Rigby Pack” without much Rigby feels lazy. In fact, the DVD cover design feels pretty lazy as well with just a plain blue background with a picture of Rigby on each side. There’s not even an extra feature. But since this is focusing on Rigby, the design may be spec to match Rigby’s laziness.
One technical error in “Regular Show: Rigby Pack” is how out of order the episode list is. Granted, the series is an episodic sitcom in terms of plot so episodes can be watched in any order. But episodes that callback references, or plot points should not play before the very episodes that they are calling back. It’s most glaring in the first episode of the “Rigby Pack” when Rigby is happy to see his brother Don, which is followed by the episode that introduces Don and Rigby’s hatred of his brother for the first time.
This is just nitpicking at this point. Cartoon Network’s latest DVD compilation of “Regular Show” entertains and offers some recent episodes on DVD for the first time. Which character would you want focused on for the next “Regular Show” DVD compilation?
“Regular Show: Rigby Pack” Episode List:
- Bank Shot: Rigby goes triple or nothing on a basketball shooting contest.
- Don: The only one who can jeopardize Rigby’s brother Don from saving the park is Rigby.
- Fortune Cookie: Rigby’s good luck increases after swapping out his fortune cookie with Benson’s.
- Rigby in the Sky With Burrito: Rigby fulfills his goal of skydiving while eating a burrito.
- Return of Mordecai and the Rigbys: Exactly what it says on the tin.
- Wall Buddy: Rigby installs a wall to divide his shared room with Mordecai.
- Survival Skills: Rigby and Mordecai need to remember the survival skills taught by Benson.
- One Pull Up: Rigby trains to do one pull up in order to save the park.
- Temp Check: Trying to slack off from work, Rigby hires a temp.
- Trash Boat: Rigby changes his name.
- A Bunch of Full Grown Geese: Geese invade the park.
- Journey to the Bottom of the Crash Pit: The gang explores the crash pit to recover a camera.
- The Heart of a Stuntman: The gang take up stuntman classes to entertain a birthday party.
- Fool Me Twice: The duo and Benson find themselves in an extreme Japanese game show.
- Sandwich of Death: Benson unknowingly eats the titular sandwich.
- Rigby’s Body: Rigby has an out of body experience.