Old Town Pour House’s Corporate Executive Chef Paul Katz and Executive Chef John Madden invites you to say cheese with its Inaugural “Masters of Mac” Cook-Off on Wednesday, August 27, 5-8 p.m., with guests choosing the official Mac Master at the end.
Competing against Old Town Pour House, Katz and Madden invite three top Chicago chefs to create an original mac ‘n’ cheese recipe as part of a four-tasting flight. Each portion will be paired with the chef’s choice of craft beer from the 90 available drafts at the restaurant. After savoring the food and paired sips, guests vote for their favorite with the winner announced at 8 p.m.
The mac ‘n’ cheese flight ($16) includes four 4-ounce tasting portions from Bub City Chef Doug Psaltis, SideDoor Chef Vic Newgren, and Three Aces Chef Matt Troost, as well as one created by Katz and Madden. Guests also have the option to order the accompanying beer flight ($16). Each mac ‘n’ cheese flight comes with a voting card providing an overview of each dish, including the chef, restaurant, and ingredients.
The mac ‘n’ cheese flight includes the following selections:
Chef Paul Katz and Chef John Madden, Old Town Pour House
- Baked Truffle Mac ‘N’ Cheese – Nueske’s applewood smoked bacon, parmesan bread crumbs, shaved black truffles
- Beer Pairing: Urthel Saisonniere (6.0% ABV), a hybrid take on the style – complex, yet refreshing and dry
Chef Doug Psaltis, Bub City
- Baby Back Mac – Classic mac ‘n’ cheese, dry rubbed pulled baby back smoked ribs,
- Kansas City-style sweet BBQ sauce, roasted poblano peppers
Beer Pairing: Firestone Walker Double Jack (9.5% ABV), Imperial IPA with grapefruit and juicy fruit aroma over big malt middle
Chef Vic Newgren, SideDoor
- Cavatappi Mac ‘N’ Cheese – Aged Wisconsin cheddar, gruyere béchamel, Nueske’s applewood smoked bacon, tomato
- Beer Pairing: Tyranena Brewing Rocky’s Revenge Bourbon Brown (5.7% ABV), an American brown ale with portions of beer aged in bourbon barrels and blended back
Chef Matt Troost, Three Aces
- Pulled Porchetta Mac ‘N’ Cheese – Leek top trottole pasta, fontina and scamorza cheese sauce, crispy leeks, roasted garlic hot sauce
- Beer Pairing: Lagunitas A Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’ (7.3% ABV), an American wheat ale and IPA hybrid with a mix of hoppy and citrus flavors
To make reservations please visit the website or call 312.477.2800.