New York Fashion Week has reached the halfway mark and the fashion, accessories, makeup and hair continue to shine. Everything from bold florals and brightly-colored ball gowns to subtle pastels and gold midi-skirts have waltzed down the runway, with beauty looks to perfectly offset the clothes. Two that stood out from the crowd on days three and four were Victoria Beckham and Alexander Wang. Eager to recreate at home, we talked to the stylists responsible to get their inspiration, know-how and tips to DIY.
Redken Creative Consultant, Guido, channeled just the right amount of sophistication and sportiness at Alexander Wang with a chic twist on the low pony.
“I created this sleek, sporty look by combing Redken hardwear 16 into the hair to achieve a super-glossy, almost silicone-like, head shape, and then left the ponytail dry and natural-looking,” Guido says. “Using a black elastic, I secured the ponytail at the base of the head, and then added a second elastic to create a thicker band for a sportier feeling. Then, I left the ponytail natural to add a little bit of richness to the hair and to create contrasting wet and dry textures. I finished the look with Diamond Oil High Shine Airy Mist for a shiny, modern finish.”
- Begin by sectioning dry hair into thirds.
- Starting with the bottom section, apply a quarter-sized amount of hardwear 16 super-strong sculpting gel at the scalp. Using a fine-tooth comb, comb through toward the base of the head, pressing firmly against the scalp for a super-smooth look.
- Repeat on the two remaining sections of hair, combing the top back into a sleek, low pony without combing any gel into the ponytail. Leave the tail natural to create contrasting textures.
- Secure ponytail with an elastic at the base of the head and add a second elastic to create a thicker band with a sportier feel.
- Thoroughly spray Diamond Oil High Shine Airy Mist all-over the hair for a very glossy, wet-looking finish.
Back again for Redken, Guido complemented Victoria’s modern and tailored collection with an easy and low-key style.
“Victoria’s style is so modern and beautiful that I didn’t want to bring too much attention to the hair, and this natural look felt the most modern for this collection,” Guido states. “There was a time when a blowout would have been considered a luxury, and it is very luxurious, but that kind of look on the runway can seem dated. The style at Victoria Beckham is very easy and undone, which created a more modern feeling. I let the hair dry naturally, created a messy side part with my fingers, and then used Redken’s new Wind Blown 05 dry finishing spray to texturize and lift the roots a bit. I also used a wide-barrel curling iron, taking random clumps of hair and bending them around the iron to add body where needed.”
- Start with dry, natural hair.
- Spray wind blown 05 dry finishing spray all over hair to add texture and light body.
- Create a messy, natural side part with fingers.
- Take random sections of hair and bend around a 1¼ inch curling iron (or larger) to create natural body.
- Lightly tousle hair with fingers and finish with a thorough mist of wind blown 05 dry finishing spray for additional texture.
Sporty and sophisticated or easy and free, two equally chic styles for Spring/Summer 2015.