Did you know it can take up to 28 days for your body to “detox” from the addictive food substances that you always crave? The refined carbohydrates, such as white flour and white rice/white potatoes/potato chips are the kinds I’m talking about . If it seems like you can never get enough bread, pizza or pasta, this little 28-day plan will help you knock out your bad carb addiction for good. Don’t get discouraged…in actually one week you will notice the cravings just about gone!
Are you wondering why white carbs are so addictive? It has to do with chemicals that travel from the stomach to the part of the brain where you produce dopamine, a hormone and neurotransmitter that affects the brain’s pleasure and reward centers. When these areas of the brain are stimulated, you’ll keep on wanting more of that addictive substance, whether it’s alcohol, drugs or carbs/sugar.
The no-good refined carbs that don’t come from whole grains or natural fruit sugar, is like toxin to your body. They’re often responsible for the visceral or omentum fat, the dangerous fat you can carry around your middle. This keeps your body making too much insulin, which makes you more prone to diabetes. White carbs like chips, white potatoes, white rice, and breads that are not whole grain, can increase your risk for cardiovascular disease and even cancer. The insulin causes changes in the hormones and causes inflammation of your joints and cardiovascular system. It sets you up for also having a lower immune system and arthritis as well as fatigue.
So, I challenge you to try this plan and you will be surprised to see how great you feel and how you look. It will make you skin and eyes look clearer and brighter! You will get more energy and be able to sleep better and lose that “achy joint” feeling.
- Week 1: Detox The Craving By Eating Healthy Fats
Start kicking the habit by going “cold turkey” on the carbs in your house. The only ones to eat are fruits, vegetables and sweet potatoes. To withstand the symptoms of withdrawal, fill up on healthy fats and don’t worry about your calorie intake. The point of this first week is to get off simple carbs. Fats will keep you feeling satisfied, which will help diminish hunger pangs and keep you from overeating.
In addition, for this week, none of your food servings should have more than 4 grams of sugar. Choose healthy fats like:
• Olive oil
• Fatty fish such as salmon
• Flax seeds
Week 2: No you can eat “the right” carbs!
- Whole grains keep you full longer, stabilize blood sugar, and are loaded with fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Also a diet rich in whole grains has been tied to lower rates of chronic disease such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and obesity. Restock your pantry with fiber-rich brown carbs such as:
- Quinoa • Oatmeal • Whole grain bread or gluten free bread • Brown rice • Whole grain pasta or quinoa pasta, organic seeded corn chips.
• Week 3: Now Its Time to Focus on Portions!
• At this point you’ve been filling up on healthy fats and whole grains. Now you need to focus on portion control. Forget about scales and measuring cups. You can actually use your hands to measure the right portion size:
• Carbs = Fist • A serving of carbs should be about the size of your fist.•
• Protein = Palm • A serving of meat, poultry or fish should be about the size of your palm.
• Fats = Thumb • A serving of fats should be about the size of your thumb.•
• Frutis and Veggies = Handfuls – No worries! NO HIGH GLUCOSE FRUITS OR CORN!
• Low glycemic (sugar raising) fruits are: apples of all kinds, berries of all kinds and grapefruit.
• Always combine your carbs with fats (but no more than a thumb’s worth). This will help you slow sugar absorption and control your weight.
• Week 4. You Can Cheat Now!
• Pick one day a week and don’t go crazy, to enjoy your favorite food such as pizza or pasta or even some real ice cream. Eating your favorite carb with fiber (like bran/chia/flax seed, will also help you better metabolize sugar and keep your weight down. For instance, top your pizza or pasta with a bunch of veggies that are high in fiber or the flax seed. Putting one tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar in 4 ounces of water and drinking after a high fat/carb meal will also help the digestion break down the carbs/sugars better.
I am certain that following these suggestions will help you to lose weight and get to stopping those carb cravings for good!