Sunny Sweeney has been through it all, and she’s finally ready to share with her fans the journey she’s experienced the past few years. On her forthcoming new album, titled Provoked, the singer-songwriter shoots from the hip on a dizzying new scale, emptying out her heart on the album’s healthy 13 tracks. Produced by Luke Wooten (Dierks Bentley, Kellie Pickler), Sweeney hopes to open up her musical palette and let her creative energy fly.
With two albums under her belt (Heartbreaker’s Hall Of Fame, Concrete), this next record will be released through Thirty Tigers and will drop Aug. 5. The lead single is “Bad Girl Phase” and is already shipped to Sirius XM’s The Highway.
“The album is a journey from nearly hitting bottom and losing everything personally to regaining my footing and being able to find not only my true self again, but real happiness,” Sweeney shares in a statement on Wed. (June 25), noting that she’s prepared to share the truth with her loyal fans–who helped fund the record on PledgeMusic.
She explains, “My fans recognize that this is something different, and they recognize that I’m writing about the truth. They’ve been through a lot with me, and they’ve seen me in both good places and bad, and the feedback I’m getting from them now is that they feel like this is the real me again.”
On the record, she’s worked with everyone from Pistol Annies‘ Angaleena Presley and Brandy Clark to such tastemakers as Natalie Hemby, Brett and Brad Warren and Connie Harrington.
Of course, Sweeney’s big heart is as admirable as her voice. Portions of the album sales will benefit the non-profit CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates). “I have been unbelievably blessed in my life, and I know that I owe a lot of that to my upbringing to the Northeast Texas community—a place I’m proud to call home. I hope that others will be inspired, or rather invoked, to also pay it forward,” she says.
Check out the track listing, with noted songwriters:
1. “You Don’t Know your Husband” (Sunny Sweeney/Angaleena Presley/Mark D. Sanders)
2. “Bad Girl Phase” (Brandy Clark/Jessie Jo Dillion/Shannon Wright)
3. “Second Guessing” (Sunny Sweeney/Natalie Hemby)
4. “Carolina on the Line” (Sunny Sweeney/Brett Warren/Brad Warren/Lance Miller)
5. “Find Me” (Sunny Sweeney/Buddy Owens/Jay Clementi)
6. “Can’t Let Go” (Randy Weeks)
7. “Front Row Seats” (Sunny Sweeney/Lance Miller/Brett Warren/Brad Warren)
8. “My Bed” (Sunny Sweeney/Angaleena Presley/Ashley Monroe)
9. “Uninvited” (Sunny Sweeney/Natalie Hemby)
10. “Sunday Dress” (Sunny Sweeney/Monty Holmes/Buddy Owens)
11. “Used Cars” (Sunny Sweeney/Natalie Hemby)
12. “Backhanded Compliment” (Sunny Sweeney/Natalie Hemby)
13. “Everybody Else Can Kiss My Ass” (Sunny Sweeney/Brett Beavers/Connie Harrington)
Download Sweeney’s new single “Bad Girl Phase” on iTunes now!