The Maker Faire comes to Union Station on Saturday and Sunday. Earlier this month President Barack Obama chatted with inventors at the Maker Faire in Washington D.C. The event at Union Station features creations from robots to energy devices. Admission is $12 per day or a two-day pass for $19.50. The event includes a barbeque contest and live music.
The Great Lenexa Barbecue Battle takes place Friday and Saturday at Sar-Ko-Par Trails Park in Lenexa. The contest includes 185 participants who are not required to supply food to visitors. Vendors include Hy-Vee, the Lions Club, and Angies Italian Ice. The rock band Nace Brothers performs both day. Friday admission is $5 and free on Saturday.
Several sporting events are in Kansas City this weekend: CASA SuperHero 5K Run/Walk at Town Center on Sunday, T-Bones vs. Gary SouthShore Friday through Sunday at Community America Ballpark, FC Kansas City takes on Portland at Durwood Stadium on Saturday, and Tour de Lakes takes place at Longview Recreation Center on Saturday.
Theater June 27 through June 29:
- Coterie Theatre: Crown Center, “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang,” closes August 3.
- Goppert Theatre: Avila College 119th and Wornall, “A Day in the Office: A Musical Parody,” closes June 29.
- H&R Block City Stage Theater: Union Station, “Cinderella,” closes June 28.
- Higher Ground Hotel: 200 N. Delaware, Independence, “The Mistaken Prognostication,” closes June 28.
- Living Room Theatre: 1818 McGee, “Master of the Universe,” closes June 29.
- Mystery Train Theater: Several locations, “Legally Dead,” closes August 16.
- Off Center Theatre: Crown Center, “Lysistrata Jones: A Musical Comedy,’ closes July 13.
- Quality Hill Playhouse: 303 W. 10, “Rhapsody in Gershwin,” closes July 6.
- Southmoreland Park: 46 and Oak, “Winter’s Tale,” closes July 6.
- Theatre in the Park: 7900 Renner, Lenexa, “Guys and Dolls,” closes June 28.
- Unicorn Theatre: 3828 Main, “By The Way, Meet Vera Stark,” closes June 29.
Aftershock Bar and Grill
Aftershock Bar located at 5244 Merriam Dr. in Merriam, Kan. Friday night the club presents on stage Once in a Lifetime Tour featuring Pawn Shop, Odd-O-Matic, Save the Great, Hotel Coffee, Masquerade, Organized Mess and Perpetual Motion beginning at 5 p.m. Saturday night at 7 p.m., the club features Slam Radio’s Slamdown 2014.
Daveys Uptown Ramblers Club
Davey’s Uptown Ramblers Club is located just south of downtown at 3402 Main in Kansas City. Friday night the club presents Uncountable Kings, Attic Light, Electric Third Rail, Fake Fancy, and Yellow Bricks at 8 p.m. Saturday night the club features Dane Davenport, My Brothers and Sisters, and Claireaudients at 8 p.m.
Kellys Westport Inn
Kelly’s Westport Inn located at 500 Westport Road, in the Westport Entertainment District. Friday the club will feature on stage Flannigan’s Right Hook at 10 p.m. At 10 p.m. on Saturday night, Old No. 5’s take the main stage. Kelly’s Westport Inn has an outdoor dining and drinking area located on the rooftop of the business.
The RecordBar is located at 1020 Westport Road in the Westport Entertainment District. On Friday night at 10 p.m., the club presents Mona at Odds, Redder Moon, Cortland, and Gibson of Organized Crimes. Saturday at 4 p.m., the club features David George and Tony Ladesich. At 7 p.m. Jeff Porter takes the stage and at 10 p.m. Hearts of Darkness.
The Riot Room
The Riot Room is located just north of Westport Road at 4048 Broadway in the Westport Entertainment District. Friday night at 8 p.m. We Are Voices, Akkilles, Skypiper, Atlas, Tiny Deaths, and DJ Tracebeats. Saturday night at 6 p.m. Troglodyte, Torn the F. Apart, Vore, Byleth, Icawber, Convalescence, Rim Job, Hellevate, Plague in Faith, and Bleed the Victim take the stage.