Yoga props first came into use in the 1960s, when yoga guru B.K.S. Iyengar noted that the reason all yoga practitioners could not accomplish the same poses was due not only to poor training but to physical limitations. The yoga block was one of many props born out of the Iyengar tradition and is used to teach proper alignment to beginning students and advanced yoga practitioners alike.
What are the benefits of using a yoga block?
- Yoga blocks can help you achieve certain poses that may be too difficult on your own
- Yoga blocks are used in various ways to relieve stress placed on joints
- Yoga blocks can add a whole new dimension to your workout whether you’re a new yogi or someone who has been practicing for a while
- Yoga blocks help you get the most out of your poses
- Yoga blocks help you do poses safely and with confidence
- Yoga block gives you stability in difficult poses, allowing you to focus more on opening up in expansion poses
- Yoga blocks help to hold a pose without overstretching
- Yoga blocks will help you stay in alignment
- Yoga blocks help to hold poses longer — allowing you to build strength and focus more on your breathing.
- Yoga blocks help individuals feel more successful in their yoga practices because it gives the yogi the ability to try more challenging poses
What the reviewer thought of the Athletic Yoga DuraBlock 50XD Series
I was very impressed with the Athletic Yoga DuraBlock 50XD Series. I brought the yoga block to a couple of advanced yoga classes. Normally I do not use a block. I thought I did not need to use it since I have been practicing for so long, but I was wrong.
When I participated in the advanced yoga classes, I was challenged with yoga poses that were extremely hard for me to accomplish on my own. By using, the yoga block I was able to achieve certain yoga poses that I normally would not be able to do on my own. The block gave me more stability, balance and support.
I also brought it to one of my regular yoga classes. Using the block help reduce the pressure I normally feel in my lower back. I did not experience any stress or pain on my back as I normally do when I was doing standing poses and floor work in certain positions.
As an author of the book, The Complete Herbal Guide: A Natural Approach to Healing the Body – Heal Your Body Naturally and Maintain Optimal Health Using Alternative Medicine, Herbals, Vitamins, Fruits and Vegetables, I found the Gaiam Athletic Yoga DuraBlock 50XD Series to be an excellent tool to use when practicing yoga.”
It came quickly, packaged well and when I tried it, what a difference on my back and I was amazed how much easier, it was to do difficult poses as well. Yoga blocks are a great tool to use in your practice no matter what level you are able to perform. It is great for easy, moderate and advanced yoga.