Are you a trend-follower or trailblazer when it comes to Halloween costumes? If you answered “trendy!” here’s the list of top 10 Halloween costumes for 2014. Party City, a one-stop purveyor of all things holiday, lists what’s hot and flying off their shelves this year. We’ll take it in backwards order, just to keep the suspense.
10. Disney princesses. Always a classic favorite, the heroines of Disney cartoons feature heavily in children’s and adult women’s costumes. Pick your favorite: Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Belle (Beauty and the Beast), Jasmine (Aladdin), Pocahontas, Ariel the Little Mermaid, Tiana (The Princess and the Frog), Pocahontas and Mulan.
9. Zombies. Long a Halloween favorite, the brain-eating undead are taking on “new life” (pardon pun) in zombified characters: brides, cheerleaders, ballerinas, doctors. Why not invent your own zombie character–perhaps a zombie animal?
8. Monster High. Halloween costumes feature characters from the hit TV series–a kind of Goth punk vampire-esque kids show.
7. Cirque du Burlesque. Halloween costumes ramp up the sexy taking traditional circus to Vegas or cabaret level. Dress as vampy leopards, tigers, cats, acrobats, tight-rope walkers, clowns, bareback riders, animal handlers. Probably best not to let tweens and children dress this way as costumes are pretty seductive.
6. Superheroes. Another perennial Halloween costume favorite, look for Marvel and DC Comics character costumes.
5. Nerds and geeks. Girl’s costumes feature sexy nerds with short plaid school girl uniforms and boy’s resemble Bill Nye the Science Guy. Think “Big, Bang Theory.”
4. Rainbow Ravers. Sexy clowns are hot this year. These Halloween costumes resemble Mardi Gras regalia. Rave-wear consists of neon-colored bras, bare bellies, lace-net armbands, fringed bell-bottoms and rainbow wigs. This costume would be pretty easy to DIY.
3. Black and Bone. These are Gothic Victorian steam-punk skeleton costumes with Day of the Dead type face paint and accessories. Here’s a DIY guys’ black and bone skeleton costume tutorial.
2. Minions. Those lovable little vitamin-B-shaped rascals from “Despicable Me” have been popular since the movie first came out. So much so, that they’re getting their own movie “The Minions” in 2015.
1. (drum roll please) Frozen. Disney’s arctic “chiller” cartoon has hit epic heights in popularity. The top 2014 Halloween costumes will feature Princesses Elsa and Anna, Olaf the snowman and other characters.
Expect to see a lot of trick-or-treaters coming to your door in these Halloween costumes!
Disney “Frozen” is Halloween 2014’s top costume trend. Costumes will feature Princesses Anna and Elsa in “fire and ice” costumes, ballgown wedding dresses and lovable Olaf the Snowman. These costumes would be relatively easy to make at home, or can be purchased.
Since Despicable Me opened, the lovable, bombastic minions have captured adults’ and children’s hearts. Plan on seeing a lot of minion-themed costumes this Halloween 2014.
Olaf the Snowman
Olaf the snowman, Disney Frozen’s charming compatriot of Princesses Anna and Elsa, is one of the best-loved Disney sidekicks of all times. Olaf costumes will figure prominently this Halloween 2014.