A list of the top 10 hospitals in the United States has been published by U.S. News and World Report on Tuesday. According to the report accompanying the list, U.S. News analyzed data for some 5,000 hospitals. They also looked at surveys of more than 9,500 physicians in order to rank the best medical centers in 16 adult specialties from urology to cancer. The data factors that were considered in the ratings included a hospital’s reputation, patient safety, and – of course – death rates at the facilities. Only 144 hospitals were nationally ranked in a specialty.
The Top 10 Hospitals in the United States in 2014
- Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota
- Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts
- Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland
- Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio
- UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles, California
- New York-Presbyterian University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell in New York
- Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania-Penn Presbyterian in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- UCSF Medical Center in San Francisco, California
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago, Illinois
The Chicago Tribune says that the report includes what is called an Honor Roll. The Honor Roll features 17 Best Hospitals that scored near the top in at least six specialties. The best cancer facility is Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. The best cardiology and heart surgery facility is Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio. The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is tops for diabetes and endocrinology, gastroenterology and GI surgery, geriatrics, gynecology, nephrology, neurology and neurosurgery, and pulmonology as well as ear, nose and throat.
The top hospital in ophthalmology is Bascom Palmer Eye Institute-Anne Bates Leach Eye Hospital in Miami. The best orthopedics is Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City. The best in psychiatry is Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. The best for rehabilitation is Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago. Rheumatology’s best is Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. The best for urology is Cleveland Clinic in Ohio.
The report lists the tops in every field. Additionally, the report goes beyond the best hospitals and the best in every category. It also lists the best children’s hospitals in various categories.