Are good manners still relevant in today’s day and age? Of course they are still important; however manners reach out farther than the dinner table and the conference room. Good manners matter not just women and children, but gentlemen as well.
Men are fickle when it comes to good manners. Some men are always respectful when a girl is present, while other guys don’t feel that a woman’s presence warrants any change in their normal behavior. The latter group could use not only use a course in social etiquette, but also a lesson in common curtesy.
So here is a Top Ten list to help the fellows remember how a true gentleman should behave.
Top ten manners that still matter for gentleman
- If a gentleman is sitting in a chair and a woman walks into the room and all the seats are taken, the man should stand and offer her his chair.
- A man should always respect and support a woman’s goals. Long gone are the days of women keeping the home fire burning.
- While the modern woman enjoys her independence and ability to follow her own dreams, it doesn’t mean chivalry is no longer appreciated. A lady still likes a door held open or a car door opened for her.
- Foul language seems to have integrated more and more on everyday life; if a woman is present in your conversation, be respectful. Not all women are comfortable with what would be considered by many as vulgar language.
- A little something goes a long way. A surprise present can lift a woman’s spirit more than you would dream. What kind of present? A greeting card left in her car, a single flower, an embroidered linen handkerchief, or even just bringing home a cup of her favorite coffee.
- Table manners are always important. If your gal gets up to go to the powder room, stand when she gets up and when she gets back. Also,always chew with your mouth closed (this is a biggie).
- Respect and follow the limits a woman sets for intimacy. If you court a Duggar daughter, no kissing before marriage. Most other women will set the limits a little further out. Wherever a woman sets the limit, respect it without question.
- Never ever, under any circumstance, should a man raise his hand to a woman. Women should not hit either; but for this discussion a man should never take his strength and power to emotionally demean or physically violate a woman.
- Be honest with your intentions. If you are just having fun and not interested in anything long term, make sure that your lady friend knows and understands. Likewise, if your feelings are deeper than hers it’s important for her to know.
- Stand up for a girl when you see someone putting her down. Regardless if you know the girl, she is someone’s sister, cousin, niece, daughter or friend. Would you want your female friend or family member to be treated badly? Then take a stand.
Did we cover all the bases? Are there more manners that today’s man should be reminded? Leave a comment to encourage discussion.