The SendTo folder is a special folder (directory for you real old timers) that can be accessed by right clicking your mouse. It allows you to quickly open programs associated with the item you right clicked.
- To compress a file or folder right click it and select SendTo then select compressed (zipped) folder.
- To unzip a zipped file or folder right click it and select Extract All…
You may be thinking “it would really be nice to have Notepad on that menu.” Or you may want other things on that menu. Well you can!
To add Notepad to the SendTo menu do the following:
- Open Windows Explorer (keyboard shortcut: WINDOWS+E). Windows Explorer is called File Explorer in Windows 8.
- Click on the address bar (keyboard shortcut: Alt-d).
- type “shell:sendto” (don’t type the double quote characters).
- This will move you to the SendTo folder.
- Open another Windows Explorer window and navigate to c:windowssystem32.
- Scroll down until you see Notepad.exe.
- Make sure you can see both Windows Explorer windows you opened on the display.
- Right click on Notepad and drag it to the other Explorer window. NOTE: be sure to right click – if you left click you may move Notepad.exe to the other folder which will make Notepad inaccessible!
- When you let go you will see a menu appear. Choose Create shortcuts here. Don’t choose Move here! That will do the same thing warned about in the last item above.
- You will see a new item in the SendTo folder – “notepad.exe – shortcut.”
- Select the new item then click on it once to edit the name (keyboard shortcut: F2 key).
- Change the name to notepad (or whatever you want to call it).
Now when you right click anywhere on a file you will be able to send the selected file to Notepad.
Click Subscribe above to get notified every time I write an article.
Stay tuned for the next article – how to send anything to the SendTo folder simply by clicking on it.