It’s that time of year: garage sale season, when colorful signs pop up on street corners for Friday and Saturday sales here in Colorado Springs. That means it’s prime picking time for the elusive vintage holiday wares. Holiday kitsch is a currently hot area in collecting. So this summer when you’re out shopping the sales, think ahead to the upcoming Christmas season; it will be here before you know it and you can get great deals on decor now.
Summer estate sales, garage sales, yard sales, flea markets and rummage sales are hot spots for lovers of kitschy holiday fun. Often at private sales you can buy an entire box lot of holiday goods for a low price because it’s “out of season.” So buy it — even if there are only a few things you like in the box, you will get a great deal and can recycle what you don’t want. Pass it on!
Desirable vintage Christmas items list:
- fancy glass Christmas ornaments — especially silver, pink, and aqua blue
- unintentionally scary Santa Claus decor
- unused vintage or antique Christmas decor including wrapping paper, old cards, and stickers
- vintage Christmas corsages — especially if they have mercury glass bits in them
- anything in its original old packaging — even ornament hooks and Christmas lights
- plastic deer, sleighs and elves
- items with mid century, atomic, or Danish modern style
- Christmas themed brooches — especially the more traditional ones like trees and wreaths
- wooden sleds, old pairs of ice skates and old wooden skis
Get a jump on your holidays: think Christmas in July!